• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

liftgate and choptop

jeepnuts311

NAXJA Forum User
hey all,

i am trying to chop my top behind the rear doors (somewhat popular mod) but also keep the liftgate functional.

in order to keep the hatch weathertight and also stay in alignment, i figured the best way would be to cut the roof in front of where the hinges are on the roof and take the whole "door frame" and weld it behind the rear seats. this would give me the weather stripping, the hinges, and the liftgate supports.

anybody tried this yet, or have any helpful words to ease my headache? the main reason for chopping the back is to move the fuel tank into that area. if i keep the window on the hinges, then i will have easy access to my tools which will be inside. the spare will likely be mounted on top of the box that will house the fuel tank. (the clearance gained is worth the loss of space, IMO....hackedxj has his done up this way)

-Tim

Ive researched alot of chops as I am going to do it soon and most poeple either leave it completly open or then weld sheet metal in there and use either a comanchee back window or Toyota back window. Screwing with seals is way too much time for what will most likely leak. You could even weld in a sheet of sheet metal, remove the window from the liftgate, make a template FROM THE LIFTGATE not the window, and then cut that out and reuse your glass and hook up the defrost too

aev_xj_africana_image02.jpg

jeepnuts311 said:
the main reason for chopping the back is to move the fuel tank into that area. if i keep the window on the hinges, then i will have easy access to my tools which will be inside. the spare will likely be mounted on top of the box that will house the fuel tank. (the clearance gained is worth the loss of space, IMO....hackedxj has his done up this way)

So...easy access, by reaching over the fuel tank and spare tire...?

Doesn't sound worth it to me. Much easier to just open the side door and get stuff or reach behind the seat.

Mine's chopped and is staying open, with optional soft top, and commanche tailgate to finish off the rear. I chopped it to get rid of the rear glass and windows.

vetteboy said:
So...easy access, by reaching over the fuel tank and spare tire...?

Doesn't sound worth it to me. Much easier to just open the side door and get stuff or reach behind the seat.

Mine's chopped and is staying open, with optional soft top, and commanche tailgate to finish off the rear. I chopped it to get rid of the rear glass and windows.

vetteboy, you are right. after more careful thinking and planning, even if i wanted to open the rear glass, the spare would probly get in the way...even if it didnt i would have to climb over it to get to the stuff. the rear doors will give easier access...

another question regarding chopping and cages. by cutting the top in the rear, im assuming you lose a bit of structural rigidity, but i wiill be closing the back off behind the rear seats to make sort of a "bed" and also making a solid tailgate. will both of these act as enough reinforcement for that little bit of sheetmetal i am scrapping?

-tim

Back