• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rear Dana 44

94jeepxj

NAXJA Forum User
I have a rear dana 44 out of a 87 XJ out in my shop I bought a few years back to convert inplace of my d35 rear. I have yet swaped out the axles and I am considering saleing the d44. I know they are rare, but what do they seem to be going for$

in northern Missouri I am getting them for between $150 and $300 depending on teh yard. I have been buying complete XJ's for $100-$500 depending on the year and condition. There are alot of the late 80's to 1990-91 models out there that farmers wifes have driven for years and they park them when they break down b/c they are old now....bad for them, great for me!!

I just bought one for 550 here in Kansas City. But it also has a limited slip, disk brake conversion, relocated shocks brackets, and repainted. So it all depends.

I paid $100 for mine, and then traded it plus $250 cash for one that had a detroit locker and 4.88 gears in it.

I wouldn't let a friend pay more than $300 for a stock 44. They get pulled out of the local yards at least once a week for $150 or less, and for just over $300, you can build up an 8.8 that's a big stronger and comes with disc brakes.

wow, my rearend is creeping up on my XJ's book value.... :shocked:

After considering it I am going to just hold on to this one and put it under my 94. I think im going to buy the RE 5.5 short arm kit that uses the drop brackets, Any of you guys had any luck with this setup? I talked things over with the guys at DPG offroad and this is what he recomended me looking into. right now I have a budget boost (spacers up front and add a leaf rear) and im running 31 10.50s with the finders slightly trimmed. I just replaced the D30 u joints which are the 297s, and with the D44 in the back and the 5.5 RE lift I think 35s would be right on, after a gear change and sye of course. Let me know what you think of the RE lift I talk of, all openions are appricated.

I run a pieced together 6.5" lift that is almost exactly the RE 5.5" DB lift, and i can't say enough good things about the setup. I'm running the RE 5.5" leafs with 1" shackle and a 1" spacer up front, instead of 4.5" leafs and a 1.25" shackle - other than that, pretty much its spot on.

Get the brace for the trackbar mount, add some frame stiffeners, a C-Rok plate. Run 33's.

If you want to go to 35's, get some alloy shafts front and rear too, and 4.88's, call it done.

-C

94jeepxj said:
85$ is a deal!

when i got mine for about $85 they just counted it as a "rear end with drums" $67 with a core on top of it.

i believe you can still get a t-case for $75 and an engine block for $125

there is a 87 xj on the south atlanta yard thats only 3 days old, may have one.

"pull-a-part....the best strip joint in town"
http://www.pullapart.com/Pricing/Main.aspx

-Tim

Last edited:
Back