• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

rustys off road

33shw0.jpg

That was my rig about 3 months after I put my Rustys 6.5" lift on. Those are 33x12.5x15's on 15x10 rims.

Of the original lift I'm still running the front and rear springs. They havn't sagged much and are still going strong. There are a few issues with the Rusty's lift though.

1. I went with the non-adjustible arms. I would not recomend this. Get the adjustible uppers. It makes it much easier to set the correct caster. Also the short arms sit at pritty steep angles so you don't get a lot of flex and they ride like crap.
2. Rusty's track bar sucks. The frame side mount is solid but I broke the threadded end like 3 times. I hear he has re-designed this though.
3. The rear leafs are way stiff and to short eye to eye. I modified this by cuting the main eyes off and tossing a main from a Ranger or Toyota (not sure witch) this moved my axle back a couple inches but gave me the correct shackle angle with the lift shackles I have. After 4 years they are finally starting to settle and actually flex.

On the good side Rustys is cheap and every time I broke the trackbar I called up and got a new one shipped out free of charge. I talked to Rusty on the phone a couple times and he stands behind his product and seems like a diecent guy.

I have a rusty's 4.5 " kit with the adjustable upper control arms and the upgraded trackbar and steering. I agree that the trak bar is not the greatest. I bent my threaded end on its 1st run, however Rusty sent me another one fast and free. I am still going to change out the track bar becouse there is still to much threaded end sticking out and my axle is centered like it is supposed to be. The rear springs actually gave me a little over 6" of lift even with removing a leaf from the pack, but they flex like crazy and rides pretty good.
No pics right now as I am on a temp computer.

if you search you will find out all you would like or not like to hear about Rusty's. I run his 8-9" lift. It has done well. However I would make some changes, and will in due time. Search my name and you will find my jeep.

I'm running the 8-9" lift also with an adjustable spacer up front and so far I love the lift. I do agree with the rear springs being somewhat stiff, but as soon as you flex them really good a few times they flex pretty sweet.

The track bar does suck....but if you get the X-over steering they will send you out a custom track bar that is BEEFY......I have yet to break mine.

The adjustable links are the only way to go, the make for adjusting stuff so much easier. They are really good people to deal with, if you have any kind of problems just call them and they'll take care of it or atleast do whatever they can to make it right. I had my steering shipped and when it showed up the box was empty......UPS ripped the corner of the box and the steering fell out. I called Rusty's up and they shipped me another set no questions asked.

Im not running there full kit, but I do have there 4.5 inch lift coils and leaf packs. The coils are nice, but there rear leafs are a little stiff, but I still havent pulled one of the leafs yet, but I do have to agree they fix very well, but I had to use a 5/8 inch lift shackle, which I can use all of my ten inch travlel shocks in the rear. Rustys shocks are a little ruff, I want to try something else but I am too happy with the amount of flex right now. Also the HD trackbar I would say is the best thing I have put on my Jeep, just make sure you get the one with the frame stiffener, and there tie-rod replacement is awsome, I have even called them to say say how good it is(on one trip I slammed into a rock hard enough it bended the tierod end into a 90% bend, new tierod end and back to business)

+1 on Rusty's tierod being retardedly strong.

I've had his 3" lift for over 4 years, I've beat the crap out of it, and it's still at about 3".

Adj trackbar sucks, mine hits the pumpkin a lot, but there's been I believe 2 revisions since I got it.

i wish knew how to post pics. i have the 6.5 lift with 1.5 shakles and adjustable coil spacers. the system has worked well for me. i also run a full exo so the springs work good with the extra weight. i run there steering system too. it work in hard core rocks and at high speed in the washs

Back