• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Bastard Pack q's I didn't find

J-Roc

NAXJA Forum User
Ok, my rear springs are officially pooched for my standards, it's not even worth it to have the mains re arched for the bastard pack I am planning to do...

So I am going to go ahead and order the Qaudratec Heavy Duty XJ leaf packs, bastardize them with Dak springs and install them.

Ok now my question: Is it a really BAD idea to cut the main leaf of the Dak pack pretty much flush with the eyes of the XJ main? Will I be getting spring binding? I see in a lot of pics the Dak or s10 main is usually 2" shorter then the XJ main (1" at the eye) and was looking at a buddies XJ with a bastard lift and his packs are already starting to wrap right after the eye because there is a lot of load going on the spring.

So is it ok to leave the cut main leaf a little bit long? Or perhaps make it like a half assed Military wrapped spring? So say a little bit of the "eye" from the dak main remained and wrapped the XJ leaf. Would there be any benefits to this or severe consequences? If it rode a little rougher that wouldn't be a terrible thing...

If you are going to spend $70(X2=$140+ shipping)for the stock springs. Plus, if you don't already have, another $100 for the Dakota springs from a wrecking yard. Why not spend a little more and buy a good spring pack with the lift you want? You can get a set of RE 4.5" springs for about $150 each. They have some sort of warrenty, not to mention new bushings, no rust,............
Just my $0.02

Well I forgot to mention I was getting the dak packs for a 28 case of Blue so I figured I'd be ahead. I'll continue to shop around tho
Also in Canada, it costs me $170 a side to get rear Procomp springs, you don't even want to know how much Rubicon Express will cost me.

J-Roc said:
So is it ok to leave the cut main leaf a little bit long? Or perhaps make it like a half assed Military wrapped spring? So say a little bit of the "eye" from the dak main remained and wrapped the XJ leaf. Would there be any benefits to this or severe consequences? If it rode a little rougher that wouldn't be a terrible thing...

Here is a link to a BB writeup - http://www.rocklizardfabrications.com/home_brew_budget_boost.htm .

The Rubicon express full length AAL is as long as the XJ main leaf.

I would make the S-10 AAL as long as possible because it will transfer the weight to the area of the wrap instead of the main leaf right where it tends to bend as the stock pack sags.

Back