• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Axles for my XJ

XJFire

NAXJA Forum User
NAXJA Memorial Lifetime Member
I cant quite make up my mind. I know that I have alot of work to do on my rig to equalize everything. My lift and tires are way too big for the axles and steering components.

90 XJ
Dana 30 front 3.55's, I blanked out on the rear right now sorry.
Stock steering
8 inch SkyJacker
36x13.50 SS Irok's

I'm gonna have quite a bit of money when I get back so I don't mind dumping 5 grand into this project to bring everything up to par.

What upgrades, specific ones, would you reccomend? I have ideas, but I don't know specific companies and specific parts, all of the parts I should say, that I need for this.

As for Axles I'm open to anything from D44's to D60's to Ford 9 Inchs.

I do alot of rockcrawling and general Colorado trail running. I need something near bulletproof that I can depend on. I have had a ridiculous amount of luck with my current axles but my luck is wearing thin.

Thanks

Seth

A friend of mine has been running waggy 44's in his xj and now his yj for almost 2 years with those tires, spool rear and detroit front, he is tough on his rig and hasnt broken anything yet that I know of. Depending on how you drive they could work for you but you definetly need new gears.

I am running a HP44 and 60 out of a 79 f250 in mine, and I am happy with the swap. I am still open in the front but I have a rear spool and with 37's I have not had any problems yet. I would get an f250 hp44 over the f150 version if you want to keep your skyjacker control arms, otherwise you will most likely need to use ford radius arms. Also, I have heard that the 3/4 ton 44's have heavier tubes, but I do not know this for sure. The only downside to running the 3/4 ton front, is that you cannot fit 15" wheels over the huge calipers. I swapped to a set of H2 wheels to clear the brakes, and also to pull my tires back in.

If you have the money, and it sounds like you do, then by all means go all the way and put 60's front and rear. I have never ran over a 35 on my jeeps and 8.8's and 44's have always done fine but with that size tire and 5 grand to spend go with custom dana 60's. And please post pics!

You will also want a nice set of gears and master install kits.

Personally, With that much cash, I would go FUll Case Detroit locker front and rear, and then go with 4.88 Gears, like Precision or Yukon. Then, run a D60 front and D60 rear, and you will never have a problem.

Go with the Advanced Adapters SYE and Tom Woods CV Shaft as well, those work very well.

Then from there, its really up to you, I would invest in some..

Rock Sliders
Front and REar Bumpers
Skid Plates (Transfer Case and Gas Tank)
Long Arms if you don't already have them

Things like that would be nice.

Good Luck!

well 5K isnt enough to really do 60's or 9"ers front and rear locked alone. Not to mention you sound like you need about a grand in nother mods still.

maybe look at either 8.8's or 9" for the rear and a 9" rear though? with a big 36 or larger tire it gets expensive.

also dont over look steering as a 300-500$ cost.

I am willing to pay alot more than 5k, I'm just saying I wanna do it right.

Here is my rig

bumpermod1.jpg

myxjlights.jpg

P7250129.jpg

P7270135.jpg

DSC00575.jpg

You get the idea. I know I have alot of work to do. How hard is it to put D60s on an XJ? I was thinking 60's with 4.56 or 5.10's with arb air lockers front and rear.

At the moment I am D30/D44 and was thinking of upgrading my front to a HP44 when I go to bigger tires. However over the last year I have watched several friends brake pieces of their D44s while running 36-39" tires. Now I am thinking that if your going to spend the money on upgrading the front axle you might as well just bite the bullet and get a D60.

85cherokeechief said:
I am running a HP44 and 60 out of a 79 f250 in mine, and I am happy with the swap. I am still open in the front but I have a rear spool and with 37's I have not had any problems yet. I would get an f250 hp44 over the f150 version if you want to keep your skyjacker control arms, otherwise you will most likely need to use ford radius arms. Also, I have heard that the 3/4 ton 44's have heavier tubes, but I do not know this for sure. The only downside to running the 3/4 ton front, is that you cannot fit 15" wheels over the huge calipers. I swapped to a set of H2 wheels to clear the brakes, and also to pull my tires back in.
how had was it tou hook up the hp44 from the ford? and did you get both the 60 and 44 out of the 79 f250? im looking for an axel upgrade soon so just looking at projects.

Smittty9785 said:
how had was it tou hook up the hp44 from the ford? and did you get both the 60 and 44 out of the 79 f250? im looking for an axel upgrade soon so just looking at projects.

In order to mount up the 44, I just got a dana 30 housing, took the coil buckets off, and welded them onto the 44, then just made some control arm mounts, and a trackbar mount. It was not too bad, as long as you have access to a welder, grinders, and a torch. And both axles came from a 78-79 F250. The rear I pulled from a 79, and the front I bought from a friend of mine and he pulled it from a 78-79 F250.

Get a set of cucv axles. 60 front, 4.56 gears open, 14bolt rear 4.56 gears and detroit stock. Add 35 spline stubs and hubs on the 60, add disc brakes on the 14bolt and have fun. That combo can be had for 1300-1800 or so, and add 500 for the 35 spline stuff and the brakes. Then add 1000 for an arb for the front and you are set. Run them full width with h2 rims. These will be plenty of strength for 40's or even 44's for most people. And you just saved 5 grand over dynatrac. Also, I think you might have just graduated to pirate...

Graduated to Pirate? Tech is Tech, no matter where you find it.....

After looking at what you have done so far I don't think you will have any problems, whatever you choose cut off everything and start fresh.

Personally I am thinking about a 9" center with 14 bolt outers and axles for the rear and a 9" front. I just like to be different. The 9/14 combo is being built by a company in Tucson, Josh Respecki @ Crossed Up Offroad. And these guys can build an axle......

Dan Fredrickson
Ruffstuffspecialties.com

Back