• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Swappin a 90 4.0 for a 91 or new 4.0

Do a search on this, it's been covered so many times, it's not even funny.
But so I dont seem like an ass.....
You'll need to switch over all the electronics with it as 90 and previous use the Renix style system.
Also most of the HO's use an open cooling system, which doesnt "need" to be switched but is easier to use maintnance wise.

XJFire said:
Unforetuneately I have a 90, which isn't the HO and aftermarket parts such as headers are alot less common. What is involved in swapping the engine, its it a straight switch or what exactly is involved? What year is recoomended?

you're lucky to have a '90 IMO. i prefer the renix system over the OBD system anyday.

but, my brothers MJ has the best of both worlds, the renix computer/ignition system with a 97 motor and head. you can swap the block/head and keep the old ignition system.

oh, and the bolt-ons for the H.O arent really that awesome. just stroke your renix and be glad you have a knock sensor

:)

-Tim

Back