• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

need help with np231

Harlee&Tahoe

NAXJA Forum User
hearing a loud grinding and popping that can be felt through the vehicle, like gear tooth was missing. Not real bad going straight gets bad while turning. U-joints seem to be good.Used a stethoscope to determine location with vehicle in gear on jack stands.

Can I remove the transfer case cover with out having to replace any seals?
Can I do all this in vehicle?
I want to check chain drive system or should I check my ring and pinion?
Correct me if I've missed anything.
1. Drain ATF from case
2. Remove rear drive line at rear u-joint
3. remove slip yoke housing
4. remove 8 bolts around case
Now I'm in the dark
5. open er' up?
If chain is damaged can I remove and replace later?
What other wear points should I look for?
Will I be able to inspect the shift fork pads from there?
Thank You
Harlee

Have you put gears or a locker in the rear axle?

Because my jeep was doing the samething. It would make a horriable popping noise when I would make a turn, and like you I thought it was the T case. Come to find out it was the rear end. See I had just installed an aussie locker and thought that the backlash was set right, but it was off. Causeing the ring and pinion gears to barely make contact. So I replaced one of the carrier shims and that fixed it.

stock drive train.

The seals for the tailshaft housing and case cover replacable with RTV or something similar?

Harlee&Tahoe said:
stock drive train.

The seals for the tailshaft housing and case cover replacable with RTV or something similar?

The case halves and the tailshaft/cone can be sealed to each other with RTV, but you will need a new seal for the tailshaft/driveshaft itself.

Back