• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

I got a pop near steering box

mavrick

NAXJA Forum User
When i turn the wheel maybe a half inch back and forth i get a poping noise. I went down and determined it was coming from somewhere around the steering box. Any Ideas? I have and have had the steering box reinforcement ever since i had the 33's.

Do you still have an aftermarket track bar?

Check the bolts for the trackbar bracket, that's what was causing mine to make a noise like that.

vetteboy said:
Do you still have an aftermarket track bar?

Check the bolts for the trackbar bracket, that's what was causing mine to make a noise like that.

Yes and will check.

Thanks

I know exactly the sound that you are talking about. I have changed so many freaking parts trying to eliminate it and its still there. So far I have added an RE 1600 trackbar, fast ratio steering box, greased the caliper pins/bolts (as well as ball joints), new u-joints in the axle shafts, new steering stabilizer (and shocks all the way around), and JKS bar pin eliminators..... All of this and still makes this extremely annoying POP everytime I turn. If I put the front end up on jack stands and cut the wheel there is no POP, what else could it be?

JTwthaXJ said:
I know exactly the sound that you are talking about. I have changed so many freaking parts trying to eliminate it and its still there. So far I have added an RE 1600 trackbar, fast ratio steering box, greased the caliper pins/bolts (as well as ball joints), new u-joints in the axle shafts, new steering stabilizer (and shocks all the way around), and JKS bar pin eliminators..... All of this and still makes this extremely annoying POP everytime I turn. If I put the front end up on jack stands and cut the wheel there is no POP, what else could it be?

I don't really notice it while driving/turning but more when im standing sill and turn the wheel. Never the less i know it still happens while driving

I know that the TREs are all good, and by the tests that local mechanics have told be about the ball joints seem to be good also.... The ends of the swaybar still have plenty of room to move about without hitting anything. Any definitive tests to determine whether or not the ball joints are bad? Mavrick I hope this helps....

If you have a track bar relocation bracket on the axle side of the bar it is very common for them to come loose and it sounds like it is coming for the steering. Retorque it down or just weld it to the axle.
Zach

I get the same noise at low speeds....nothing in my steering has play. RK 4.5" kit with disconnects and RK trac-bar. Ball joints, hubs, TRE's, trackbar and sway bar links are all tight. I just ignore it until something breaks then I'll know what it is and fix it :p

did anyone give up on this question because my xj does the same thing..it would be nice to figure it out ..hope someone figures it out because i cant..

My trac bar bracket did the same thing.They're notorious for coming loose and making popping sounds.I tightened the nuts/bolts and tack welded the bracket (RE bracket) to the unibody.

Best way to find it is to get underneath the Jeep and have someone keep turning the steering wheel back and forth. Run your hands over everything and you can feel where the noise is coming from. But be very careful not to get your fingers pinched.

I would check the trackbar, like everyone else said. Also, check the TRE that goes into the pitman arm. Do you have a drop pitman arm?

I only have the trackbar mount that comes on the Dana 30, it has been torqued and re-torqued. No crappy braket that bolts on thats why I bought an RE 1600. I have had a couple of people get under the Jeep while I turned the wheel and they both said that it sounds/feels like it is coming from the steering box (I have already replaced that.) It still does the popping thing.... All of the TREs feel very solid, and I don't have quite enough lift to install my drop pitman yet. But the stock pitman has been torque a few times too. Think that I am leaning towards the ball joint thing, but I would hate to drop the $$$ and that still not correct the problem.

vetteboy said:
Like I said, mine was the trackbar bracket on the frame being loose.

X3

the sob will always loosen up just enough to make the popping noise. still lokking for a permenent solution...

Hey guys, I gues I'm not the only one with this as well. I just lifted my 2001 a couple of weeks ago and had this pop noise when i was hitting some medium to hard bumps and when turning. I was just going through and re-torquing the bolts and noticed that the trak bar had some play. Now the track bar bolt is torqued but there is still play. Any clues? I can move the track bar back and forth on the bolt and it can rotate. I'd appreciate any feed back.

Mine was the tracbar mount, but its not the bolts that attached to the frame but the bolt that runs through the ball joint. That bolt was loose and over time had bored out the hole so it looked like an oval. Tightening it down helped temporarily but then it came back. Check to see if the bolt hole for the tracbar on the bracket has been bored out, if everything else is tight.

Well I checked the track bar frame mount and that was not loose. I was a little stupid and didn't torque the axle mount tight enough. Snugged it up this afternoon and problem solved. I'll have to periodically check the torque of that bolt. Thanks for the help.

Back