• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Installing factory Cruise control questions

jeepinwi

NAXJA Forum User
With a 2,000 mile road trip planned for January, I'm thinking cruise control would be a wise addition to my 99 XJ. I've done my research on this forum and want to make sure I know all the parts I'll need:
-servo
-clockspring
-steering wheel with switches(99-01 steering wheel)
-vacuum control module
-vacuum lines

From what I understand, all I need to do under the hood is bolt on the servo, vacuum control module, run vacuum lines, and connect the cable to the throttle body. In the cab, I need to install the new clockspring, connect the wiring, and bolt on the new steering wheel.

Am I missing anything? I know about disconnecting the battery and being cautious about the airbag. According to a fellow NAXJA member, the wiring for the servo is already run under the hood.

Also, Is there wiring already in place to connect the steering wheel switches with the servo? Is that run through the PCM?

Im thinking bout switching my cruise from my 96 over to my 99.. drivin to and from school every month and i will have a few more drives to alaska. I beleive thats all that you need, Just besure your cables are run right

Last edited:
i did the oem install on my '98 back in '99 and dc certainly did not require you to replace the airbag. they did give very detailed but concise instructions on how to remove it from the column and temporarily store it, etc.., but you definitely reused it.

all the connectors are prewired into the harness and you'll need a steering wheel puller. everything else comes with the kit. like about $175 back then.

Last edited:
On my '01 all of the wiring and the vacum lines were already there. Make sure you disconnect the battery for a while before you start disassembly. I believe the instructions said at least half an hour. I waited longer. You also do not need the the whole steering wheel, just the buttons and the little pig tail wire that connects them to the clock spring.

Are you going to buy the kit or source the parts from the junk yard? I might still have the directions if you want them.

Glen

iirc you have r/r the steering wheel to change the clockspring...

I am getting all the parts from a salvage yard. I have aready bought the steering wheel with switches and the servo. I'm having trouble sourcing a clockspring. Any suggestions on finding one of them?

darjevon said:
Ur also gonna need a new airbag... just to make sure you know

Actually, from 99-01, the same airbag was used for CC and non-CC equipped XJ's.

I have found a clock spring, so the only part I have left to get is what Jeep calls the "SPEED CONTROL RESERVOIR", part number 5503 5902. Do I really have to get this part, and is there a more common name for it? It isn't the vacuum reservoir sphere-shaped thing near the right fender, is it?

i don't usually chime in in the moral sense, but my post-new xj purchase of the factory oem cruise control kit was a Christmas gift.

FWIW, i would not do this mod piecemeal, think about the ramifications of an unpredictable gas pedal AND one or two airbags with minds of their own.

granted, cruise is great, but, at least to me, the cons outweight the pros.

Godspeed ;)

mikeny59 said:
i don't usually chime in in the moral sense, but my post-new xj purchase of the factory oem cruise control kit was a Christmas gift.

FWIW, i would not do this mod piecemeal, think about the ramifications of an unpredictable gas pedal AND one or two airbags with minds of their own.

granted, cruise is great, but, at least to me, the cons outweight the pros.

Godspeed ;)

Unpredictable gas pedal? airbags with a mind of their own? Come on...we're installing cruise control on a Jeep here, not exactly brain surgery. Anybody with common sense could piece together the 4 parts needed to install the cruise. As long as I get a clockspring from an XJ where the bags were not deployed, what the heck are the cons of this project?? Personally, if I can piece together the parts for $150 vs $300 for the kit, I consider myself a wise man.

not trying start a pissing contest, but personally i'd rather be safe than sorry.

iirc, I think the oem instructions said to start the car by reaching through the passengers' side window in case the bag deploys after initial installation.

I keep everything piece of info/directions, albeit buried in what amounts to a giant hefty contractors bag, but i'll try to see if my memory does serve me correctly and sift through all that crap.

sv

Last edited:
jeepinwi said:
Unpredictable gas pedal? airbags with a mind of their own? Come on...we're installing cruise control on a Jeep here, not exactly brain surgery. Anybody with common sense could piece together the 4 parts needed to install the cruise. As long as I get a clockspring from an XJ where the bags were not deployed, what the heck are the cons of this project?? Personally, if I can piece together the parts for $150 vs $300 for the kit, I consider myself a wise man.
Exactly.
I've grabbed all of the parts needed to do 2 of these conversions and it's a piece of cake. I got everything needed from the wrecking yard (clockspring too, from non-deployed airbag XJ) for $40. Everything is plug and play.
I think some people are thinking that it's WAAYYYY more complicated than it actually is. We're bolting on electronic cruise control here, not launching the space shuttle. It's either on or off, no run-a-ways because the brake circuit deactivates the whole electronic system and that's built into your Jeep not the cruise parts. There is NO hard linkage bolted to the accelerator pedel.

jeepinwi, I see you've done your homework on the late model switches. The earlier ones (97-98) look the same, fit the same, plug in the same but won't work in the 99+. Keep us updated on the final result.

ZacSquatch said:
Im thinking bout switching my cruise from my 96 over to my 99..
Won't work. Incompatible parts.
ZacSquatch said:
Just besure your cables are run right
On the 97+, it's pretty much fool proof. Everything is keyed to go on only one way.

mikeny59 said:
iirc, I think the oem instructions said to start the car by reaching through the passengers' side window in case the bag deploys after initial installation.

Drivers side OVER the column. If you do it from the passenger side and the airbag goes off the passenger airbag may go off as well.

Glen

is there a kit to install cruise on a 92. i really want cruise on mine so does anyone know if they make them, how much they are, and how hard they would be to install on a 92. any help is appreiciated

Well, I've found 3 of the 4 parts I need to have functioning cruise control. I found a leather wrapped steering wheel with switches for $45, a servo for $20, and a clockspring for $47. I am getting the entire tilt steering column with the clockspring because the seller wouldn't seperate them. I'm still trying to locate the vacuum reservoir.

On a seperate note, how hard is it to install a tilt steering column into an XJ that came without tilt?

jeepinwi said:
On a seperate note, how hard is it to install a tilt steering column into an XJ that came without tilt?
I've never done that one. Sounds like a topic for a new thread. :thumbup:

Back