• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Anbody have seat belt diagram?

canadian_xj

NAXJA Forum User
Hi there,

First off, I wanted to say that this is the greatest XJ site on the net!!

Everybody here seems to be very helpful and quite informed.

Anyway, I have a '90 4 door XJ 4.0L 4x4 and was wondering if anybody had a diagram to show the locations of the rear seat belts? Currently I have only some belts under the rear seat which don't seem to make much sense. the are no shoulder belts, but there are the hangers and the retractor holes there. I just nned to be pointed in the right direction.

This is my first jeep and I already love it!! Any help would be excellent.

the retractors are behind the plastic side pieces

I thought shoulder belts were not used until 91...I know my 89 only has lap belts

When you say the holes are there, do you mean that the holes are present in the trim, or that they are present in the body beneath the trim? XJ's were fitted with holes for the mounting of shoulder belts long before the cheapskate beancounters at AMC actually got around to putting them in. Unfortunately, the holes did not include the anchors. There used to be a kit for retrofitting these, but I wouldn't count on being able to find it any more. On vehicles equipped with the belts from the factory, the threaded anchors are spot-welded in.

Check those holes and see if the threaded anchors are present. If they are, your best bet is probably to go to a boneyard and find the belt assemblies. Once you have them in your hand, I don't think you'll need a diagram, but if you do, you can post back and someone should be able to provide it. The retractor mounts below the rear window, and the hanger above.

If there are no threaded reinforcement plates in those holes, then your XJ never had shoulder belts. Your choice will be to hunt down the retrofit kit, or to figure out a way to install the correct anchors in some other way. Needless to say, this must be done well, because a shoulder belt that fails is worse than a lap belt that doesn't.

Matthew Currie said:
On vehicles equipped with the belts from the factory, the threaded anchors are spot-welded in.

Just to clarify this, there are no threaded anchors for the retraction unit that sits inside the fenderwell - you just need to be sure there is a threaded anchor inside the hole at the roof where the shoulder portion loops through.
Sorry don't have a picture of this but can get one if you need it... it's pretty self-explanatory though. If you have a threaded hole you're gold.

The fenderwell should have a main bolt hole and a smaller positioning screw hole - both of which are unreinforced (albeit applying a lateral load) sheet metal.

So did anybody figure this out? Did it have the threaded holes or what?

1985xjlaredo said:
So did anybody figure this out? Did it have the threaded holes or what?

Most likely not. I used J.B. Quick weld to hold the anchor nut in.

Back