• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

lower contrl arms

xjnovice

NAXJA Forum User
i have a 98 xj (2in. lift) with the apparent death wobble. In pursuit of repairing this I replaced the ss, track bar(jks adj), wheels bal.,. and alg, and tranfer case drop. My next step is lower control arms. my question is should i get the adjustable type or stock length fixed.

xjnovice said:
i have a 98 xj (2in. lift) with the apparent death wobble. In pursuit of repairing this I replaced the ss, track bar(jks adj), wheels bal.,. and alg, and tranfer case drop. My next step is lower control arms. my question is should i get the adjustable type or stock length fixed.

are you sure your track bar is torqued to spec? if its loose it will be a real bad problem. if the wobble isnt bad, it could be Ujoints (either front or rear DS or axle ends) that are causing the ruckus... just a thought

everythings tight up front. tires and rims are stock rubicons,with less than 3000 miles, i guess they would still be balanced. my front lift is via the jks acos type. i'm not sure of there reputaion. possibly another factor . from what i read, new lower control arms/polyurethane bushings seem to fix this problem alot. thanks for the fead back

xjnovice said:
everythings tight up front. tires and rims are stock rubicons,with less than 3000 miles, i guess they would still be balanced.

i wouldn't guess that. we do all kinds of things to our jeeps that can screw up balance. when i was starting out i use to scrape wheel weights off on a fairly regular basis. two inches shouldn't cause dw. something else is at play here.

What are you wobble symptoms. Does it start around 55, get worse to about 70, get better around 70-79 and really bad at 80 +?

If so, I'd guess balancing.

My dw crises started on its first test drive after i did the lift(just spacers up front and add a leaf in back). got the track bar and front alig. and dw still there. the dw comes at any speed, most often when i hit a bump or a dip. the front wheels feel like there moving left to right radicly, i just stop and take off again and everything is fine. this happened at around 70 mph and i thought i was going to flip. never go past 60 now.

Another vote for tires and wheels,did you install them with the lift?I had death wobble on my STOCK 93 before a trip to Indy.Replaced the SS,the tracbar and the control arms with no effect.A new set of skins and did over 5000 miles in 4 days with no DW.

Back