• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Swapping Transmissions

caglezxj

NAXJA Forum User
Hey,

I did do some searches but nothing like what I was looking for come up.
I have a 90 cherokee, and I am looking into swapping a 700r4 in place of my AW4 21 spline tranny. I would like to run the 241or transfer but it will not work with a 21 spline tranny. I would also consider running a dana 300 transfer as well.

My questions,

how much longer is the 700r4 tranny?

Is it a direct bolt up, or do you need adapters?

Where to buy the adapters?

is the dana 300 about the same size as a np231?

Should I just stick to the AW4, and build my transfer case HD?

This is a trail only rig. Money is no big deal cause I will buy the stuff as I go. I am in no big hurry. Just looking for all the info on it I can get.

Last edited:
caglezxj said:
Hey,

I did do some searches but nothing like what I was looking for come up.
I have a 90 cherokee, and I am looking into swapping a 700r4 in place of my AW4 21 spline tranny. I would like to run the 241or transfer but it will not work with a 21 spline tranny. I would also consider running a dana 300 transfer as well.

My questions,

how much longer is the 700r4 tranny?

Is it a direct bolt up, or do you need adapters?

Where to buy the adapters?

is the dana 300 about the same size as a np231?

Should I just stick to the AW4, and build my transfer case HD?

This is a trail only rig. Money is no big deal cause I will buy the stuff as I go. I am in no big hurry. Just looking for all the info on it I can get.

Why for switch? The AW4 compares favourably to the THM700R4, so that's a step backwards. And, the 241OR probably already comes bolted in behind the AW4, so there's not a lot of adapting.

You'll probably need a later AW4, if you've got a 21-spline. They used a 21-spline output until 1989/1990 (I don't recall exactly,) then went to the current 23-spline - so just get a later AW4 and call it good. They didn't change mechanically, otherwise.

Don't make work for yourself. Especially don't make work for yourself when you're moving in the wrong direction. I'd take the AW4 over the 700R4 any day, hands down.

5-90

I did not know the 700r4 was a bad tranny, thats why I asked. And the 21 spline shafts ended in 1990. The 241or does come with the aw4 tranny but the splines is different than mine.

All in all you answered my question. I will probably go with the hd kit for my transfer case.

Also going to flame a little bit: Search my name? and you will see what I do with this TRAIL ONLY RIG. Rock climbing, 4 and 5 trails mostly.

Back