• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

How do you test a renix coil?

SimpleXJ

NAXJA Forum User
I'm reading my haynes manual and it says that the ohm reading between the positive input terminal (12v) and coil body should be infinite. Mine is reading 13K ohms. Is my coil bad or is this test incorrect? The haynes is not clear as to which coil (v6 or i6) this test is for and the coil in the pic doesn't look like my renix. Theirs has 2 bolt terminals (positive and neg.) where my coil has 2 connectors, one qwith 3 wires and one connector with one wire. I'm testing the right wires, I know that, but I'm not sure if this test is correct. Anyone know how to test a renix coil?
This is on a 89 MJ 4.0 auto.

Thanks fellas.

SimpleXJ

You test a RENIX coil the same way you test any other - I just don't have the specs to hand at the moment.

However, you are correct that they gave you the V6 coil to check - the RENIX one is, as you are aware, square in shape and "dry" (those can coils are filled with oil.)

Haynes manuals have a place in the workshop - usually, right under the short leg on my workbench.

5-90

1) Connect an ohmmeter between the negative terminal and the
high voltage terminal. Use high resistance scale. If ohmmeter does not indicate below infinite resistance, coil must be replaced.

2) Connect ohmmeter between the positive terminal and coil
frame (ground). Use the high resistance scale. If ohmmeter does not indicate infinite resistance, replace coil.

3) Connect ohmmeter between positive and negative terminals. Use low resistance scale. Ohmmeter should indicate 0-1 ohm. If not, replace coil.

Thanks, 5-90 for the info. I found the haynes manual is a bit off on their MAT test procedure. It says that with engine at normal temp, sensor should read 4000 ohms. My FSM says below 1000 ohms at normal temp.

Saudade: I think that one is the procedure for the GM coil. Maybe the procedures are the same, but I tested mine and from positive 12v terminal to the coil body (ground) I get 13M ohms. I went to pick a part yard today, and tested about 4 other coils on renix XJ's and they all tested within this neighborhood. I guess mine is good.

Thanks for the info guys.

Regards,

SimpleXJ

I've got a few "known good" coils about - I'll have to test them to generate a baseline.

I do know that if the secondary tests "infinite" resistance, it's "open" and the coil should be replaced. I just don't know offhand what a "good" value is.

I'll also have to dig around - I'd worked out a way to test the ICM, but I'll have to find my notes...

5-90

5-90 said:
You test a RENIX coil the same way you test any other - I just don't have the specs to hand at the moment.

However, you are correct that they gave you the V6 coil to check - the RENIX one is, as you are aware, square in shape and "dry" (those can coils are filled with oil.)

Haynes manuals have a place in the workshop - usually, right under the short leg on my workbench.

5-90
ditto.the exact words in my old haynes reffering to my 73 chargers engine removal:1.disconnect engine from any hoses,clamps,motor mounts,ect.2.remove engine.:laugh3: get yourself a chiltons at least!

SimpleXJ said:
Saudade: I think that one is the procedure for the GM coil. Maybe the procedures are the same, but I tested mine and from positive 12v terminal to the coil body (ground) I get 13M ohms. I went to pick a part yard today, and tested about 4 other coils on renix XJ's and they all tested within this neighborhood. I guess mine is good.

It came from my '88 FSM. I check my own '88 coil it checked out.

Back