• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Name That Leak

Justin Graham

NAXJA Forum User
So I have been working on getting my NP242 rebuilt this weekend. While I had the transfer case out I wanted to also stop a transmission leak I have been having. Whenever I top off the tranny with fluid it will leak it all out until it gets just below the add line, then it will almost stop leaking. I've crawled underneath the beast and checked out all the hoses, they all look fine with no leaks. It seems to be coming from the rear of the tranny, because there is fluid all over and in the cross member. Last night I worked on getting the 4wd adapter housing off the tranny, I didn't finish because the upper bolts are a PITA to get to. I'll probably try to finish getting that thing off today. In the meantime, what seals could be leaking that bad on the rear of a 4wd tranny? Service manual shows a seal in the adapter housing and a speed-sensing rotor off the tranny output shaft that could possibly be leaking...anything else?

thanks,
justin

The transmission adaptor seal was leaking on my AX15. Not sure what trans you have, but here is a pic of the seal in question.

Clutch+Nov+06-049.jpg

BTW, I cut a 9/16 wrench in half to get to the top bolts, but they do have stubby wrenches available.

Back