• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

help with transfer case noise!!!

swany

NAXJA Forum User
i have a 94 manual with the 4.0. a couple weeks ago on my way home from work i noticed a semi loud noise comming from what sounded like the front end. so i went home and spent a couple days changing the wheel u-joints and checking the wheel bearings. i also checked the rest of the u-joints and they were good. took it for a test ride and the noise was still there. took it to aamco transmissions and they said the noise was the transfer case. got home and opened that up to find alot of metal shavings on the magnet and the plastic fork things where in pieces. so i had to replace those and the rear mode fork casue it was ground down bad enough on one side that i couldnt even see the plastic piese mount spot. i also changes the chain. cleaned it all out and put it all back together. i forgot to mention that all the bearings looked good. but i still have the noise! is sounds like a couple pennies in a can getting shaken around. i hear it at 10mph and on it doesnt change in pitch, or with the engine off jeep rolling, or with the clutch in. can anybody help me with this?

My first suggestion would be to check the front differential. If your Tcase was that shot, maybe the front end locked up to blow it apart. If Aamco checked on a dyno, or up in the air, they may have only done so in 2wd thereby only isolating one of your problems...you could still have spider gear teeth chirping around in the front diff. Just a thought...

only other thing I could say is crack that tcase back open and see if you missed something...could be the little sliders off those busted forks or just some itsy bitsy piece you didn't see

ok turns out that the noise is comming from the front driveshaft. :party:i took it off and went for a ride and the noise went away. so if you ever hear a sound like a couple pennys in a can rattling around check the driveshaft.

Back