• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

89 CHEROKEE AUTO TRANS-SHIFTING PROBLEM

bcmaxx

NAXJA Forum User
I have an 89 xj with the auto trans and for some reason it intermittently misses the 2nd to 3rd shift. It just goes from first to overdrive (torque convertor locked),really crappy for the hills around b.c., The trans has AISIN stamped on it and it looks a lot like the auto trans in a 89 4runner. Anyone ever have troubles like this?Can I use a toyota transmission? Thanks​

Last edited:
Could be the transmission control box? I'm not sure if that year had one had one.....but, if it idoes-

Check the lower dash panel above the passenger "Feet area". There should be a plug running to a box. Disconnect it, and drive around, shifting manually.

1-2 will give you gear 1, 3 will give you 3rd gear, and D will give you 4th grear.

If it manually shifts perfectly like that, simply replace the transmission control unit (TCU).

Good luck!

Blaine B. said:
Could be the transmission control box? I'm not sure if that year had one had one.....but, if it idoes-

Check the lower dash panel above the passenger "Feet area". There should be a plug running to a box. Disconnect it, and drive around, shifting manually.

1-2 will give you gear 1, 3 will give you 3rd gear, and D will give you 4th grear.

If it manually shifts perfectly like that, simply replace the transmission control unit (TCU).

Good luck!

I would guess this is my problem concerning what I just posted up a whole other thread about!:(

BTW, talked with The Dude -

Both of his TCU fuses are good, and the TCU is plugged in.....but the transmission is acting just like as if the TCU was unplugged or a fuse was blown (AKA, TCU not getting power.) I still suspect The Dude's problem to be a bad TCU, however....

Perhaps start a new thread for yourself?

Blaine B. said:

Good luck!

Actually, the next step should be to check the resistance on the solenoids. It's more likely to have a bad solenoid than a bad TCU.

I think I am having a problem like this. Intermittently acts like there is no power to the TCU. When in D, 4th only. Moving the lever does change gears, 1,3,4. Changed TCU did not make a difference. Today it shifted normal! TPS readings are OK and the TV Cable is adjusted correctly.

Well, I replaced the TPS on mine. Seems it solved the problem, but it sure is shifting A LOT harder now.

Back