• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

4 wheel drive indicator light

boomer1

NAXJA Forum User
Light on the dash on my wife's 1998 cherokee classic is out. I haven't got under it to check out the switch, not sure where it is on the transfer or transmission, but I'm assuming it probably has a couple wires on it, with a plug. If I disconnect it, can I jump the plug with a piece of wire and make the light come on. Trying to see if it is the switch or the bulb before I try and replace the switch.

Thanks

It's on the transfer case, on the drivers side, sort of at the top, above where the front driveshaft connects into the transfer case.

It has a 2-wire plug attaching to it.....

I believe you can just short the plug to make the light turn on. That's what a switch does, after all.

the sensor plug in is just below the #1 in the pic. #2 is the speedometer output

standard.jpg

Blaine B. said:
Does the sensor screw in or what?

The light sensor, that is.
Yup, it's a short thread with a spring-loaded ball. The harness plugs into the sensor...pretty simple piece. There has been at least one change over the years though - early ones used a four-piece squarish plug; if I'm not mistaken this was the type used with disconnect front axles. Later (including my 96) used a two-wire plug with a more oval connector.

Very good point - unplug the harness, clean teh area around the switch and then remove it. Exercise the spring-loaded ball and clean the electrical contacts. Reinstall and reconnect.

Blaine B. said:
I meant the end of the switch that moved (inside the transfer case)....I wanted to see how it is supposed to move, and note any parts which can get dirty.
Look at my post in the thread I linked to.

Just the light on the dash.....UNLESS you have a vacuum disconnected front axle, and then if that goes bad (it's a different type of sensor, though).......low range will work, but your front axle won't engauge.....just the transfer case and rear drive.

can anyone give me the part number for the two prong switch.

not the 4 prong with vaccum disco front axle but the newer model two prong.

thank you

Blaine B. said:
Just the light on the dash.....UNLESS you have a vacuum disconnected front axle, and then if that goes bad (it's a different type of sensor, though).......low range will work, but your front axle won't engauge.....just the transfer case and rear drive.

In my '88 the light doesn't come on but my 4wd still works, hi, lo, (np231). Does thta just mean my light is bad, or that some wire is dirty? The light comes on every now and then in a great while.

I have a switch marked for use on an 03 wrangler (Np231 TC), Before I take my defective switch out will it fit my 01 cherokee (Np231) will it fit? It looks just like the above pictured switch.
Are there any tricke to removing the switch as it is in a difficult to get to spot?

Back