• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Dana 30 front drive shaft

tweakado

NAXJA Forum User
if i pick up a non disco 30 from the junk yard how hard is it to change the shaft that goes from the transfer case to the axel from a GKN front drive shaft to the spicer front drive shaft.

There are clips with 8mm bolts on the axle yoke. Then on the T-case side, you have 4 8mm bolts holdint the double cardan joint to the t-case yoke. Not a long time at all. If you have the factory skidplate, it's a pain, just the crossmember and it is easy to get to.

Those awkward (and easily rounded-off) 8mm bolts can be replaced with four Grade 8 5/16"-24x1.25" bolts on each driveshaft.

great bit of info...

so then i should take the front drive shaft with me also. I take it that the u-joint side at the transfer case has the same setup as the cardan does thanks guys

Sorry, my bolt reference was for the t-case side. I'm running a PORC SYE and have two front driveshafts, so I use the larger bolts on each at the case.

If you have the GKN style shaft, it doesn't unbolt from the T-case. It slides on a splined shaft, like the stock rear shaft. You will need to find a yoke to fit the output shaft. Try www.driveshaftsuperstore.com.

I haven't called them yet, but they make a lot of yokes for odd stuff. Let us know how it goes, this has been brought up before with no good solution.

Okay guys called the driveshaftsuperstore and they have what is needed to change the GKN to a high angle CV shaft part number 1310 and a 26 spline CV yoke this is the whole shaft all new cost 275.00 for the shaft and 65.00 for the yoke these guys sound like they know what they are doing. Thanks for the link to them.

Back