• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Will a front trailer hitch fit on my Jeep?

xstoyz

NAXJA Forum User
I have a '88 XJ Limited. I have a C4x4 TrailBlazer Winch Bumper Installed on it currently. Its a great bumper but I do wish it had a 2" reciever hitch in it. I could really use it for moving some of my trailers aound the yard. I would like to buy a front mount hitch and install it, but I have a feeling it would interfear with the bumber or the bumper mounts. Does anyone have any experience with this?

Thanks for the help

just take it to a hitch place and have them add one to the bumper

lol i guess if without seeing where I have to manuver some of the trailers it would seem pretty odd. But in the summer the boat trailer gets put in a very steep driveway located off of a major street. When backing the trailer in the trailer goes well below my sight line. The front hitch would allow me to be able to just drive it right in, thus reducing the amount of time I have to stop traffic on the street. Also as is with most Cherokees the parking brake works MUCH better when the Jeep is pointed forward downhill. It would make me alot more comfortable when launching boats to have that added braking to help hold the Rig on the ramp.

I dont know about using the front hitch on the boat ramp, seems like a lot of trouble to me.
I used my front receiver to move my boat around the yard all the time. I had a tight place beside the garage that I parked it in the summer, then in the winter I put it in the garage. Both places only had a couple inches of clearance. I never used mine at the ramp though.
As for the mounts, I can only speak of the Drawtite (which I like better than the Hidden Hitch). the DrawTite bolts to the bottom of the frame rails using the swaybar bolts and an empty bolt hole just in front of the swaybar. The hitch mounting surface runs flat against the bottom of the frame rail between these bolts. The hitch icrossbar itself drops down just behind and level with the plastic air dam thats under the stock bumper. You probably dont have one of those anymore so as a reference, the hitch is about 1/2" below the front crossover (that the radiator and such mount to). Heres a pic I took of mine when I had it for sale for reference. Its upside down but maybe itll give you an idea of how it mounts.
DSCF0872.jpg

I just took a look at the C4X4 bumper. I cant tell how it mounts but just from looking at it, I guessing that a DrawTite will not fit under that bumper. It looks like the bottom of the C4X4 bumper is lower than the bottom of a stock bumper. The hitch comes on just under the stock bumper, maybe 1/2" below it, so if the C4X4 bumper is lower than the stock one, the DrawTite aint gonna fit.
DSCF0779.jpg

Ray,

Thanks for the reply.

It looks the mounting locations are different on the bumper and the hitch which is a good thing. But the hitch you show sits to high up and would interfer with the C4x4 bumper. I would need to find one that hangs lower. Thanks for the pictures.

You may want to consider a Hidden Hitch brand. I know they hang lower than the DrawTite. I know someone on here has one but I cant remember who.

is your c4x4 bumper a winch bumper? if not, why not buy a reciever tube (northern tool, tractor supply, any trailer/towing shop or store) for like $15, cut out the hole in the front center of your bumper, have someone weld it up, then brace it on the inside.

THats what we did on my rear bumper. I had a hitch installed, but i decided if i was gonna build a high clearence bumper, might as well use it for a hitch as well. we cut out the hole and welded it front and back. only problem is now its so high up that i have to use a 6" drop hitch to tow my boat. no problem though.

Back