• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Boring solid ends for threaded inserts?

barillms

NAXJA Forum User
I have 1.5" OD solid round bar for my Tie Rod and Drag Link.
I have 1" ID threaded inserts for each end.
I need to bore each end out enough to accept the insert.

Can I drill this out at home with an electric drill w/ a 1" bit?
Start smaller, and work my way up to 1".

barillms said:
I have 1.5" OD solid round bar for my Tie Rod and Drag Link.
I have 1" ID threaded inserts for each end.
I need to bore each end out enough to accept the insert.

Can I drill this out at home with an electric drill w/ a 1" bit?
Start smaller, and work my way up to 1".

OK, beyond the challenge of drilling the hole reasonably straight you a missing the most important point.

You start with 1.5" OD and use an insert with a 1" ID, Personally all the inserts I see are at least 1/8" thick and often a little more making your 1.5" bar effectively a 1/8" tube (Inside the hole you drill). So, if you are taking it to a machine shop to get an accurate hole, forget the insert and have them tap it while they are on the lathe anyway.....

Dan Fredrickson, Ruffstuff Specialties

Last edited:
Gravel Maker said:
OK, beyond the challenge of drilling the hole reasonably straight you a missing the most important point.

You start with 1.5" OD and use an insert with a 1" ID, Personally all the inserts I see are at least 1/8" thick and often a little more making your 1.5" bar effectively a 1/8" tube (Inside the hole you drill). So, if you are taking it to a machine shop to get an accurate hole, forget the insert and have them tap it while they are on the lathe anyway.....

Dan Fredrickson, Ruffstuff Specialties

Concur. If you're starting with solid bar, you're better off just boring and tapping it directly, rather than fixing in an insert. Do a heat-treat if you anticipate large pull-out stresses, and (hopefully) you can stick to a coarse thread when you select parts - since a coarse thread is more resistant to pull-out (thicker roots.)

5-90

Back