• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

98 Gauge cluster odometer

ram360cid

NAXJA Forum User
I just replaced the 'idiot light' gauge cluster in my 98 cherokee with one that has all the indicator gauges. Works great!

However, the digital speedometer is not correct. It is reading ~133k (mileage of car it was in). My mileage is ~125k. This is an 8k difference. I thought the mileage was stored in the PCM, but apparently it is a combo of the PCM/Gauge cluster or just the gauge cluster. I took it back out and totally took it apart, changed the speedo display but still reads 8k too high. So it is in one of the chips on the PCB of the gauge cluster. Those cannot be removed, they are soldered on.

I can live with the 8k discrepancy. It is so nice to have the better cluster!

Does anyone know how to change the value in the gauge cluster computer chip?

It is stored in two places, cluster and pcm. I just made a note of the discrepancy in the owners manual and called it good. Mine came out of TJ... and was like 60,000mi less than the true milage. But I'll keep it for another 300,000mi, then who is going to care.. once you are past 500,000 whats 60,000 extra miles...:D

Back