• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

So now that I have the tranny out...

heyjpark1

NAXJA Forum User
Is there anything else I should replace while I'm at it? I have an 89 XJ and am in the middle of replacing the clutch. Can anyone think of anything else that I should replace while I'm at it? FYI I just did the coolant temp sensor and oxygen sensor (man, would they have been easy now!).

Dont replace anything that still works, If your jeep needs a clutch put in a clutch. Are you doing the whole kit, clutch, pressure plate, bearing, Just dont forget to put in a new bearing in the back of the motor(where the main shaft of the tranny goes into) it goes bad, otherwise why replace something like a CPS, thats not bad and you dont have to take the tranny out to replace it anyway. Good Luck

Thanks , X. Doing the whole kit...just when to Shucks and got the pilot bearing removal tool. What a PITA this has turned out to be! :hang:

The internal throw-out bearings in the early XJ's tend to leak with age; therefore, I would be inclined to change it along with the clutch.

xjbubba said:
The internal throw-out bearings in the early XJ's tend to leak with age; therefore, I would be inclined to change it along with the clutch.
Bubba he got the whole kit... It comes with that... Good point though,, I got rid of my internal slave cus it would go out every 18 months... The real reason I posted was to tell you if you dont have the flywheel resurfaced, clean it real well with brake cleaner, after you are done with the pilot bearing. Really makes a difference when you break in your clutch on a clean flywheel. Good Luck

I'll pass on another caution I read somewhere: If your flywheel is badly scored, don't resurface; replace. The reason quoted was the internal slave cylinder has a fixed throw, and if you take too much off the flywheel, the clutch won't disengage properly. I think that makes sense; however, I had my flywheel resurfaced and didn't have any problems--or maybe I did, as I think about it. It did seem I needed to push the clutch pedal all the way to the floor for complete disengagement. I had installed a new Force-ll clutch and pressure plate, along with a new internal slave cylinder, and a new master cylinder. Just something to consider.

I'd do a little research--local shops that have experience resurfacing flywheels, Google, this forum, and pirate4x4. Take your flywheel in for an opinion. Look closely at your flywheel. Does the surface looked checked or cracked? If so, I'd replace it. Mildly scuffed, I'd have it resurfaced if it could be done without taking off more than .010-.015 off the surface--again, discuss with a resurfacer. I'd check it for surface run-out while still installed. Use a dial indicator mounted on the block to determine if the surface is warp-free. Probably need a field service manual to get the specification. Resurfacing a warped flywheel would probably require removal of way to much material.

I wouldn't do much more than that. IIRC, the 94 FSM (external slave) spec's a max of 0.0003" material removal for resurfacing. Unfortunately, I found that flywheels aren't carried by many parts shops anymore.

In your case, I'd be replacing clutch disc, pressure plate, throwout bearing assembly, and maybe the flywheel if it show any signs of problems. I would not replace the CPS.

Thats the puke goat tranny, the split one ? why not update to a newer AX15 tranny, bellhousing with the external slave while you have it all apart... I would for sure replace the slave cylinder, be a PIA if you got it all done and that started leaking..

XJING said:
Dont replace anything that still works.....otherwise why replace something like a CPS, thats not bad and you dont have to take the tranny out to replace it anyway. Good Luck
On this I'd have to disagree. Ever replace a CPS? Way, way easier with the tranny out, and you WILL need to replace it soner than later. I think I paid about $20 for mine. Given that you need an expensive shorty flex socket and 1/2 dozen extensions to reach the bolts when its in, I'd say this is a definate exception to your rules.

Nevada City Sparky said:
On this I'd have to disagree. Ever replace a CPS? Way, way easier with the tranny out, and you WILL need to replace it soner than later. I think I paid about $20 for mine. Given that you need an expensive shorty flex socket and 1/2 dozen extensions to reach the bolts when its in, I'd say this is a definate exception to your rules.

Ever replace one? Well I hae owned my XJ for going on 19yrs. so yeah, I have replaced it a few times,
The easiest way is to put a jack under the TC, undo the bolt on each side for the cross member, lower it and then undo the CPS. Makes it easy to get to. Takes about 1/2 hour 45 minutes tops, Still cant see replacing parts that are not broke.

heyjpark1 said:
Should I replace the flywheel no matter what? Or just take some brake cleaner and sandpaper to it?

Clean it, check it for bad scoring or cracks, if its not badly scored or cracked you will be fine, I am still running on my second flywheel. at 375,000.
good Luck

XJING said:
Ever replace one? Well I hae owned my XJ for going on 19yrs. so yeah, I have replaced it a few times,
The easiest way is to put a jack under the TC, undo the bolt on each side for the cross member, lower it and then undo the CPS. Makes it easy to get to. Takes about 1/2 hour 45 minutes tops, Still cant see replacing parts that are not broke.
Yes, 4 of 'em. 2 in vehicle (in inconvenient parking lot scenes), 2 with engine removed. Way, way easier when the tranny is out. It just seems to me, for a failure prone part that's hard to get to and goes out without notice, replacing now is the prudent option, particularly if age is unknown.

Guess I'm just a reliability freak....

I just relized though that all my experience is with the AW-4 so it may in fact be easier on a manual to get to the CPS. On an auto, its quite a challenge.

Back