• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

2.8L swap out

jeep_87_cherokee

NAXJA Forum User
i have a 1986 cherokee that has a wet and tired 2.8L v-6 with an automatic transmission (havent look to see what kind). i have heard that a 4.3L chevy v-6 is a direct swap. well if a 4.3L will bolt up to my transmission then wont a chevy small block bolt up too ?

Nope, won't bolt up....the tranny is a A904 chrysler variant...the bellhousing is a "small chevy" pattern....a variety of GM 60 degree v-6's or 4 bangers will bolt up.....but the best and easiest swap is a 3.4 V-6....use the intake, fuel and ignition systems from your 2.8....the only snag is you will need to have the stock flexplate zero balanced....any good high performance auto machine shop can do that for a few bux.

Search 3.4 swap........

not that i like chev v-6's, but has anyone tried putting one of those 3.4 DOHC's in a XJ. i know it is not the best motor. but it would be a interesting experiment. or maybe a turbo 3.1 from a gran prix?

Back