• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

What Mods Needed for Dune Running?

spacomponents

NAXJA Forum User
I'm asking the pros here, what do I need to run sand dunes without too many issues, like getting stuck every 5 minutes?

I'm guessing:

31x10 rear paddles, 31x8 desert traks on front, 4:11 or lower gearing, lockers, and more power via supercharger?

10 Psi in the tires. Maybe a little wider tires. And some Remote resirvoir shocks really help.

Really, just take a stock rig in there and air down the tires and you will be amazed what you can do.

IF you want preformance, go wider, bigger and more power. IFS really helps with control in the soft stuff too.

From working at an offroad beach, I can tell you, AIRING DOWN IS YOUR FRIEND. We require vehicles run 18 psi or lower. I would run between 10-15psi if I was you, and getting a wider tire will help you "float" over the sand. A light foot while taking off, and light on the breaks when slowing down will also help you from digging down. Also, not turning too tightly at good speeds will help too. Make sure you care a shovel, jack, and board to put the jack on to spread the pressure so that it won't sink into the sand (we require 18x18), and a strong enough tow strap.

Thanks guys. I grew up in the Everglades with 8 psi, hi-lifts, lots of shovels and boards. Sand dunes can be fun, but I know from riding ATV's, that it takes horsepower.

spacomponents said:
Thanks guys. I grew up in the Everglades with 8 psi, hi-lifts, lots of shovels and boards. Sand dunes can be fun, but I know from riding ATV's, that it takes horsepower.
There was a thread started here not too long ago where a guy was building his XJ to be a sand dune drag racer. It was a pretty sweet build. IIRC he was using a turbo. Search for that thread and you'll find lots of info on what he's running.

The is a guy that is on the bulletin board at Hesco that has a awsome dune runner....its not a XJ....but the same stuff applies....awsome power...stroker with supercharger and nitrous if i remember right and some serious paddle tires....there are some pics of him on dunes that scare me...and im fearless...looks like the last few frames in that movie "The Perfect Storm" just before the monster wave swallows the boat...

do you want to go fast or simply not get stuck?

get some beadlocks and some 12.50 or wider non-agressive tires aired down to 4psi and you will have to try really hard to get stuck.

if you want to go fast on dunes.... aggresive tires/paddles, power, good shocks

I went to Walden, Colorado once. (sand hills)

Airing down is a good idea for sand and also keeping momentum up.

You will need to use heavy throttle and 4 wheel drive low (to keep revs up).

Low end torque doesn't do much for sand. You need to build POWER to do good in sand. You gotta keep you motor spining. I have found that 2500-3500 is the best rpm range without lugging or racing the engine. (The 4.0)

Back