• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Need write-up with pics for swaybar removal.

Its quite easy.
Go and look at all the bolts that attach the sway bars to the unibody and axles, remove them, and then you should be all set. Theres a total of 4, (2 on each side) that hold the front to the unibody, and then 2 nuts that hold it to the frame. Same amount on the back one, except I took mine off while I was doing the lift, because the plate its attached to the u-bolts, I'm sure you could just undo it at the bushings.

Throw the rear one in the trash while your at it, you don't need it.

Swaybar removed, along with a few other things.
000_0127.jpg

I just removed my rear sway last night when I replaced the fuel pump.

I placed the rear on jack stands just ahead of the front spring mounts, pulled the wheels for access and removed the 3 bolts on each side. One is on the spring mount, I removed it first. The other two in the frame hold the sway bar, take them out.

Repeat on other side.

Twist, turn and pull / push the bar to remove from the drivers side (I needed to pull of the E brake spring for clearance during removal).

Replace wheels.

Go out and flex your Jeep.

also could anything mess up if i remove the rear swaybar? Like could the springs fall out or mess up or the shocks pull apart? Yup im a new and young.

Its alright if your young, I'm young too. No, nothing will fall out and nothing will get destroyed, The sway bars aren't structural, they don't hold anything together. Sway bars keep the vehicle from being too tipsy in turns, and stop the side to side transfer of weight. Springs are bolted on, and will only extend as far as they can go, and they will not pull the shocks off. (this is assuming you didn't put on longer springs and kept the factory size shocks)

Also, where in Mass are you?

jeffasher1988 said:
what tools will i need to remove :NAXJA: them?

dude stop asking stupid questions. the sway bars are ment for noting but street use.. all it does is stopsa sway of the car. SWAY bars. they are actully anit-sway bars. in wheelin. uneed sway because sway=FLEX and flex is good. it is solved. no more on a dumb subject. i run no sways all the way around and i love it!, some turns are a little harry but. jit is most deffinetly a fun ride! safe enough for mme... so yes.

ok we havent even been talking about what they do, for a while. I dont know if you can read, but im asking about removal and the tools needed.

Seriously, removing your swaybars is less technical than changing a flat tire, and has less risk of damage involved.

That said, if you are at a level that you are still asking this question, i do NOT suggest trying to drive without your front swaybar on the pavement. A lot of people will tell you that its "ok" or "i do it all the time fine" etc.. a lot of people beat their wives and drive drunk too, but that doesnt make it a good idea. ;)

Go and look at the swaybar, it should be stupidly obvious how to remove it. Pull the rear one off, and buy a quick disconnect system for the front one.

jeffasher1988 said:
im asking about removal and the tools needed.
The bolts holding the swaybar to the unibody 'frame rails' should be 15mm. The front swaybar is held to the front axle by a big torx-head bolt (T45, I think) and a 3/4" nut. The rear swaybar is attached to an endlink on either side by a 10mm bolt, and the endlink is attached to the axle u-bolt plate. If you don't want to undo your u-bolts, you can just unscrew that 10mm bolt and pry the endlink apart to get the swaybar out, and leave the endlink attached to the axle.

Back