• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Hood Springs

XJ Samo

NAXJA Forum User
Has anyone seen or installed hood springs on an XJ? The kind that hold up your hood without using the prop rod. Any ideas on what might work something off another vehicle or kits avaliable.
Thanks in advance, XJ Samo

That one might work but I would prefer springs.

Not sure. Just seems less like a mercedes that way I guess.
I will probably go with the lift gate shock though.

XJ Samo said:
Not sure. Just seems less like a mercedes that way I guess.
I will probably go with the lift gate shock though.

Nothing wrong with that. Easier mod with the struts, too, plus easily replaceable. Not that the springs will ever wear or break any time soon though. Simplicity when it comes to small things like this is always easier and better, IMO.

I think you'll find the problem with traditional "detroit iron" hood springs (which the folks from Stuttgart copied) is that they require an articulated hinge. The one-piece hinge on an XJ isn't very well suited to them.

You'll never get your Jeep hood to operate like a Merc., at least not like my old 240D. Not only are the hinges sprung nicely, but they have an extra latch on them which allows the hood to be raised to full vertical. Mercedes did this back in the 70's when their assembly line started putting the entire power train into finished bodies from above rather than below, but the result is a hood that's really out of the way.

I know about MB and the strut hood lift and the articulated hinges I wrenched on them at a dealership. What I was trying to say is that I would prefer not to emulate MB with the strut however it sound like that is the best idea.

Back