• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Steering wheel lock plate removal no tool

chameleo78

NAXJA Forum User
Is it possible to remove the lock plate without having a compression tool? I can't find one locally and really need to get my lock cylinder replaced asap. If anyone has done this or has suggestions I'd appreciate it. Please try to provide as many details as possible if this is something you have done before. Jeep is a 94 aw4 command-trac. Thanks for any help.

You and a couple buddies to push down on the plate... I'm serious. Was stuck in BFE and I had to replace the cylinder this way. You can probably manage to get the lock clip out by yourself using ingenuity (screwdrivers, needle nose, et), but getting it back in.... forget about it. AFAIK you don't "have" to put the lock clip back in to drive, it just means your steering wheel won't lock when the key is out of the ignition.

Lock cylinder replacement.

Ended up borrowing a compression tool. Now I'm stuck on actually removing the cylinder. I've gotten the turn signal assemply out, and have removed every screw or bolt I could find. There are 3 large torx screws that seem to hold the collar onto the column; do I need to remove these? I don't see any other screw that would be holding the cylinder in place. I've searched and all the posts just say to remove the retaining pin; where is this?? Can someone possibly post a picture? Again, 94 w/ tilt column. Thanks for any help.

I've done this a bagillion times. It sounds like you are stuck on the very last part. There is a small, black torx head bolt that actually locks the cylinder in. Just unscrew and remove this, the cylinder will slide right out.

Slide the new one in, replace the bolt, reassemble.

Cheers.

rickynigro = AIM if you need help

Where on this picture is my mystery bolt?? Please help me!!

Sorry about the size of the pic.

IM000378.JPG

See yours is a newer GM column. There is no bolt that holds the lock cylinder in, I just removed one of these so I had to learn how to do it also.
1. Turn the cylinder two clicks to the on or ignition position...whatever.
2. Use a flat bladed screwdriver and press in on the black retaining pin that is shown by the red arrow in the pic I modified.
3. Pull the lock cylinder out.
4. Voila!
IM000378.jpg

Yes I did. Popped right out like you said it would. Now I just have to tear apart my donor column and see if I have cylinder that will fit or if I need to go salvage one. Of course I'll have to be lucky enough to find one with a key in it still.... Thanks again.

I have a similar problem with a 94 Cherokee. In the AllData instuctions it states to remove the key warning buzzer switch and contacts (which is pictured directly below the red arrrow as posted by 90PIOSport above, (the white plastic tab with 2 feelers). It says to use a needle nose plier or paper clip bent at a 90 degree angle after the key is moved to the on position. I could not get it out. In the process I have damaged the two leaves. Can anyone tell me the trick to getting this out?

I've tried to an hour to get it out. The more I pulled on it the more damage I did to the white plastic piece to the point I broke a piece off the bottom. It still won't come out.

Breaking that bottom tab shouldn't hurt anything. Just make sure the key is not in it.Thers is a spring clip attached to the white plastic buzzer actuator. Just grab the clip and yank it out. It will come.

Back