• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Key wont turn.

srkruger

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 94 XJ, I was having a problem with the key not wanting to turn so I went out and bought a new ingition and key. Took the wheel of and all that great stuff and installed it. The only problem is, it is still doing the same exact thing. What else could this be? After I put enough pressure on the key it clicks and then starts.

certain xj's had a recall for the park-safty interlock switch, or something like that. it's what makes it so you can only remove the key in park. might try looking into that.

try jiggling the steering column a little when trying to take the key out. sometimes when I jump in some POS fords the key will go in but wont turn at all until the column was jiggled not a permanent fix but it could work

also take a look at the actual switch itself.. I just replaced my core about a month ago so I know what it was like... on my 88 the switch is located half way down the column on the left side sorta on top (if that makes sense) its white and may have worn out

Left me rephrase, The key turns to the on position but when I turn it more to crank it, it stops. If I force it (with a pair of plyers) I hear a click and then it starts.

If you have the aw4 make sure your shifter is all the way in park. My shifter is slightly worn and sometimes wont go past the lock point keeping me from removing my key and sometimes from turning the ignition.

The ignition lock pulls or pushes a rod on the steering column that operates the actual ignition switch further down. Check the switch itself. It might be hanging up and jamming. Slide switches can do that sometimes. Also look at the rod and make sure something isn't wrong there.

I know for a fact it has nothing to do with the tranny being in park, because it starts everytime but its just a matter of turning the key. I am thinking it has to do with that rod that goes back and forth. Does anyone have a diagram of the whole steering column?

srkruger said:
I know for a fact it has nothing to do with the tranny being in park, because it starts everytime but its just a matter of turning the key. I am thinking it has to do with that rod that goes back and forth. Does anyone have a diagram of the whole steering column?
That rod is connected to the ignition switch ($12 part at AutoZone) Before mine totally went, you almost had to use pliers to turn the key. Turns out after inspecting the old switch, it was the plastic harness deforming and interfering with the switch movement. Replace the ignition switch, before you're left with no wipers, turn signals, horn, radio, blower!

Back