• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Limiting straps for rock crawling.

Phil

NAXJA Member
NAXJA Member
Running 4.5" RE ZJ coils, 12" Bilstein 5150s up front, extended RE long arms, single upper.

About to set up bumpstops, and I'm thinking about setting up limiting straps. For rock crawling and light prerunning to and from trails, what is the best way to run limit straps?

I'm thinking about using just a single center limit strap, hung from something like the RE track bar bracket brace (tube running from rail to rail under the oil pan). I would only have to buy one limit strap, it would keep the longarms from unloading too much, and if sized properly, it could keep the drooped shock from overextending.

Would a seperate strap at each corner be better?

Should the shock just be limited from full extension, or shorter? Should the coil just barely unseat? Or stay seated?

Phil said:
Should the shock just be limited from full extension, or shorter? Should the coil just barely unseat? Or stay seated?

I woudn't run any straps. The coils can flop around freeley. I call this "cheater droop" where the coil leaves. A long bumpstop keeps it from coming off.

No real reason other than to protect your shocks. I've maxed mine out more times than I can remember and never destroyed a shock.

mounting options are many, typically you will set the limit strap to limit out about 1" before your shock(or other limits) does as no matter how thick the limit straps they do stretch significantly, adjustable clevis mounts are nice as you can adjust your limit straps when they stretch as opposed to replacing them. I can't answer you questions about mounting etc, the best way would be to cycle your suspension with both configs mocked up and see which works best, there are many other factors such as steering bindage etc that would dictate what works best for you. hope that helps a little.
Phil said:
Running 4.5" RE ZJ coils, 12" Bilstein 5150s up front, extended RE long arms, single upper.

About to set up bumpstops, and I'm thinking about setting up limiting straps. For rock crawling and light prerunning to and from trails, what is the best way to run limit straps?

I'm thinking about using just a single center limit strap, hung from something like the RE track bar bracket brace (tube running from rail to rail under the oil pan). I would only have to buy one limit strap, it would keep the longarms from unloading too much, and if sized properly, it could keep the drooped shock from overextending.

Would a seperate strap at each corner be better?

Damn, I guess I thought more people would be running shocks that are worth protecting.

I'm leaning back towards a limit strap at each corner and a center strap, whenever I get around to them, to make it easier to adjust center droop, and easier to size the corner straps.

Phil.. I will be using limit straps in the front to keep me from destroying another set of shocks. I will be putting in 10" shocks and probably limiting them to 9" or so. I pulled out 1 shock through the fender in JV due to the lack of carefulness.

I am running 5.5 inches of lift on RE short arms with Drop Brackets. 12 inch 5150's. I need to run a limit strap on the drivers side only to prevent shock destruction. My Limit strap goes from my custom Track bar mount on the frame down to the coil perch (cant really remember what it is bolted to down there?). It is not necessary to run a strap on the Passenger side because the trackbar limits droop on that side. I have the strap set up to become tight with about 1 inch of travel left...should allow for stretch.

Because I am cheap, my limit strap is some extra length of motorcycle tiedown strap. I made my 2 mounting ends from some flat plate and round bar. Doubled the strap, then ran it through both ends, and met back together in the middle. Basically, it is four times over. I had my mother sew the straps together in the middle(thanks Mom, you're awesome). Her threads have held up for several months now with NO signs of wear at all. This includes several runs to Big Bear, JV, Calico, and local hills.

I will go see if I can find a picture now. :D

2ryq6ie.jpg

Strap is red in the outlined part. Not a good shot, but all I had handy.

BTW, when the strap is holding the axle, The spring is several inches off the top perch, but far from any possibility of coming off completely. I would make sure that your strap doesn't have any spring pressure on it. This could be seriously bad for its life expectancy.

Phil said:
I'm leaning back towards a limit strap at each corner and a center strap, whenever I get around to them, to make it easier to adjust center droop, and easier to size the corner straps.

With your suspension setup that is the route I would go.

Here's mine...
picture.JPG

...the lower strap tabis mounted to the link bolt at the axle.
I have my straps setup so that the coils don't unseat. Useless droop is just that, I'd rather carry a tire over a deep hole rather than it drop down in it and have to drive up out. Ballanced flex is what you want.

Jes said:
With your suspension setup that is the route I would go.

Here's mine...
picture.JPG

...the lower strap tabis mounted to the link bolt at the axle.
I have my straps setup so that the coils don't unseat. Useless droop is just that, I'd rather carry a tire over a deep hole rather than it drop down in it and have to drive up out. Ballanced flex is what you want.

Good advice. Other wise Jesse will steal your stuff!
standard.jpg

I don't want to hijack, but I think this is just another solution to the same problem:
I've been thinking of putting some kind of retainer on the top of the spring (like there is on the bottom perch) to anchor the spring to the top (body) perch. That way the axle will only droop as far as the spring will allow. Would stretching the spring like this shorten its life, or can you think of any other drawbacks?

GreenGhost said:
I don't want to hijack, but I think this is just another solution to the same problem:
I've been thinking of putting some kind of retainer on the top of the spring (like there is on the bottom perch) to anchor the spring to the top (body) perch. That way the axle will only droop as far as the spring will allow. Would stretching the spring like this shorten its life, or can you think of any other drawbacks?
Number one thing that comes to mind is that you better redo the lower spring mount to hold it more securely. If it gives way (and it is only a sliver of sheetmetal), then the spring can come down somewhere other than the perch. This would be nearly catastrophic to the shock, some steering damage might take place, driveshaft could hit exhaust and control arm could take some abuse. Basically it will ruin your day if your spring pops out and the weight of the Heep falls on it.

In other words...don't do it.

I have a limiting strap on both corners up front. First time flexing with the long arms years back, the passenger side shock started leaking because it had over extended plus the coil was very close to falling out. The limit straps start to pull tight with 1" left of shock travel. In 5 years with this set up I have yet to loose a spring or have a shock fail.

AARON

I would put a limiting strap in the center. It will not limit your flex in that configuration, but will help control the spring unloading we experience on very vertical ledges. Unloading shifts your COG to a very disadvantageous angle.

How usefull would a center limiting strap be on an XJ with short arms and drop brackets? I know I have done some climbs where I was carrying a front tire and IMO a center strap would help alot there. Just thinking out loud

Racing4funn said:
Why center when the ends can still drop too far and do damage. If you had both ends covered then the center isnt needed

I want a center strap to control total extension of both ends. With a center strap you can limit total droop and keep the nose closer to the ground to help the COG and you can do it without limited articulation. I just don't if my short arm setup would benefit from it or not.

Phil, I would assume you have access to CAD software?

Draw it up and see how much center strap you need to limit down travel at the wheel and also limit unloading in the front.

I would think 2" or so of slack at the center of the axle would allow full travel at the wheel and help limit your unloading.

Another close approximation would be to flex out your truck and measure the distance from the centre of your axle to wherever you want to mount the strap at the frame. That will give you a general idea of the required length.

Back