• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

defroster air stinks

Semper Fi

NAXJA Forum User
is there a filter up front somewhere that can be changed? When I turn on the defroster the Jeep fills with some bad smelling air and the wife starts to bitch about it right away and wants out, That might not be all that bad. I would like to change the fiter if there is one, anybody know?

Semper Fi said:
I would like to change the fiter if there is one, anybody know?

There's no filter. I've been toying with fitting one on and off to keep sand out of the air ducts on desert runs.

Having said that, you've likely got bacterial growth in the vents (or someone kindly put a fish in there for you) or the evaporator. Some good pointers on dealing with it can be found here.

it's a moldy nasty smell, not a sweet antifreeze smell. If I run the defrost for about 20 minutes it seems to not be as bad as when you first start it up.

Mice made a home in my duct work....damn does that thing stink. Have tried everything I can think of, but all it does is mask the smell for awhile.
Be careful spraying stuff like Lysol if you have the heater/defroster on, it is flammable, the heater motor does have "brushes" so there is a chance of a spark. If you were to remove your heater motor and look inside you will see a coil with three terminals on it, this coil can get red hot...not a good place for mice to build nest (don't ask) or for Lysol vapor to accumulate(Hmmm...the resulting fireball would surely get rid of the pesky 'lil rodents).

Back