• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Thing between the visors

mcnamaag

NAXJA Forum User
87 Wagoneer Limited "Woody" All of the options but what is this computer chip looking thing between the sun visors? It looks like it should have a cover on it but in the past god knows how many years I have owned it it hasent. It connects to a elect wire and make no difference if it is hooked up or not. Any ideas?

It's the keyless entry sensor. But a picture could confirm this.

That what I figured here you go.
IMG_0041.jpg

IMG_0042.jpg

So is it for the keyless entry or what?

mcnamaag said:
So is it for the keyless entry or what?

Yes, it's the IR receiver. Won't work with the later-type RF keyless entry.

Yup. It's supposed to have a smoke cover over the elec board.

The keyless entry fob to go with it can be had from the dealer - programming it costs more - and then if it won't work you have to trouble shoot the wiring, board etc to get it going.

A alarm/remote start/ opener may just be cheaper to install.

Mine doesn't work. I don't really miss it - I just need to get around wiring the double relays for the door lock mod and getting them up first.

Could you remove it and mount a overhead console? Maybe use the power wires that are their, do it get constant power? Just a thought.

I think I've seen that before and I'm pretty sure it is where the dilythium crystals go to activate the warp drive just prior to the plasma vortex invertor. But I might be wrong.

Mine is basically just a plate with a black bubble for the existing keyless. I don't even have the factory remotes, as I have a Hornet alarm/keyless system.

I'd like to remove this plate and bubble as it serves no purpose, but the roof liner is cut underneath it to accomodate......

I'll figure something out, maybe the CB would work nicely up there!

Anybody need this part? I don't.......

Thanks!

So basically.....here it is

SensorMounted.jpg

So, I decided to remove it......Now I have this to deal with, any ideas? I'm thinking a metal plate or something painted to match the interior with a little insulation behind it.....might put the CB up there, not sure.....seems like it might get in the way of the mirror and such up there.....whatever.

SensorHole.jpg

So if something is wrong with the inter workings of the IR receiver, will that cause problems with the Power locks? I have a 90 with the same style mcnamaag posted (with the cover) and the power locks stopped working. Thought I would ask before I start cutting wires, since I'm not spending $75 for a new remote.

I might try making a little cubby hole to keep a Bluetooth Handsfree adapter in. If it has constant power it could work really nice.

TJ-Shocker said:
So if something is wrong with the inter workings of the IR receiver, will that cause problems with the Power locks? I have a 90 with the same style mcnamaag posted (with the cover) and the power locks stopped working. Thought I would ask before I start cutting wires, since I'm not spending $75 for a new remote.

I might try making a little cubby hole to keep a Bluetooth Handsfree adapter in. If it has constant power it could work really nice.

Kinda what I was thinking. Hell any thing its pretty much a waste of space now huh.

Back