• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

I'm gonna change my clutch...

heyjpark1

NAXJA Forum User
And I've never done one before. I'm quite handy, and have worked on just about everything else, but never changed a clutch. For you search nazis (you know who you are) I did a search, but couldn't find any good write-ups. Anyone know where I can find a good write-up? Any hints or tips for those of you that have suffered trough this? How long do you think it's gonna take me?

Thanks!

89 Cherokee, 4.0l

on the inside of the bell housing there is this little metal clip, nothing fancy, just looks like a over glorified paper clip. Its on the opposite side of where the slave cylinder pushes the plate, make sure it's not cracked or broken...drove me nuts! Just go to a junk yard and ask to look at another tranny. I went crazy trying to explain the part let alone find it! haha i guess it was a rookie mistake :jester: ! Oh yeah prepare for anything, I ended up braking the bleeder for my slave cylinder...long story :viking:

Good Luck! Hope the Jeep Gods are on your side!

Use the link posted by o2bgpn. It's an excellent writeup, tells you all you need to know on dropping the AX-15 and clutch replacement. I did the job using two floor jacks and a sheet of plywood. Biggest PITA are the two reverse head torx bolts at the top of the bellhousing. Believe me, it's worth the cost of a set of E sockets to get those damn things off. Same for using flare nut wrenches on the master/slave fittings. Good luck.

otto said:
Use the link posted by o2bgpn. It's an excellent writeup, tells you all you need to know on dropping the AX-15 and clutch replacement. I did the job using two floor jacks and a sheet of plywood. Biggest PITA are the two reverse head torx bolts at the top of the bellhousing. Believe me, it's worth the cost of a set of E sockets to get those damn things off. Same for using flare nut wrenches on the master/slave fittings. Good luck.

Yeah, excellent write up. Dumb question though: what are "E" sockets? Do I need to plan on this taking me more then one day?

there were two inverted torx bolts on the top of the bellhousing on my 96, look out for that

I think it could be done in one long day by two people who have average skills and who've never done it before. I would allot two days though, cuz sh*t happens.

As a guide, my son and his friend pulled the tranny on the 93 YJ [5 speed], replaced the clutch and slave in about 6 hours BUT they had a half lift [goes under the frame on front, back or sides and lifts the whole end or side], truck sized tall jackstands, garage and the tools. The biggest fight on the YJ was that huge belly pan but it came right off. It's a tough job when you are by yourself though even with a tranny jack on rollers..

As previously stated:

Top 2 bolts on the bellhousing are E12. Don't try to use a 12-pt socket unless you have horseshoes falling out your a$$. You are probably going to want about 3' of extension, and either a universal or your tranny dropped some to get to them.

Disconnect the cps from the wire harness and not from the bellhousing (that way, when you re-install, you don't have to worry about dropping the fasteners down into the bellhousing).

You are going to need to disconnect the exhaust at the manifold to push it out of the way.

If you are NOT using a proper tranny jack, you will need 2 buddies, and you will want to take the transfer case off first (assuming it is 4wd).

You may want to replace the pilot bearing while you are in there...

As for time... I tend to do a little too much admiring of my work, so I would put the whole weekend aside (a day to remove and a day to replace) just to be safe.

Back