• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

XJ dying in the cold

C.diesel

NAXJA Member #1284
Trying to help a friend with his problem...

"The problem that I am having with my 98 XJ 4.0L is only when the temp is cold and the Jeep has not warmed up. If I don't warm the Jeep up for at least 5 minutes it seems to always stall out (bogs down to the point where it dies) within the first half mile when I drive it. The transmission seems to be shifting fine and it is almost like the Jeep is choking when it gets ready to die. If I quickly let off of the accelerator and imeadiatly get back on it it seems to revive it for a minute. I tried to run the codes on the computer but it showed no errors."

Any ideas?

Thanks

Air filter? Check it. Other than that, run a can of Sea Foam (cheap, available at Autozone) through one of your intake manifold vacuum lines. Also check your battery terminals... if they show the slightest hint of corrosion, replace them. Also get your battery tested.

Back