• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Spare tire mounted on back w/o drivers viability...

Boulder_jeeps

NAXJA Forum User
issues, is this possible? I run 33's and I like being able to look out my back window. I have stored the spare in the back in the past (behind the seats) but I would like my cargo area back, I mean that is why we have XJs in the first place. Has anyone seen pictures of a non obnoxiously mounted spare tire carrier? Does anyone share my sentiments?:idea:

Viability? Or visibility?
happyfinger.gif

Unless you put it on the roof, expect that a rear-mounted spare will interfere with your vision. That's to be expected when you have a 33" tire and a hatch that's only around 40" tall...

its not that bad on the back...still plenty of room to see where your going...btw i have a c4x4 and a 31"

is there any real viable reason basically every US tire carrier i see opens to the passenger side? for a design im making id like to ideally mount the tire offset to one side, and if it was driverside, id like to put the hinging mechanism there as to have the tire closest to the hinge as possible

HeavyMetal said:
is there any real viable reason basically every US tire carrier i see opens to the passenger side? for a design im making id like to ideally mount the tire offset to one side, and if it was driverside, id like to put the hinging mechanism there as to have the tire closest to the hinge as possible
if it is road driven, you want it to open away from traffic,also roads tend to be crowned towards the shoulder so it will want to open rather than slam shut, that is the reasoning behind my design at least.

HeavyMetal said:

When having the tire further away from the hinge, it allows the hatch to open sooner. Where as if the tire were next to the hinge, the arm would need to be open almost fully for the hatch to be opened. On the downside there is more of a moment (for us that understand statics) when the tire carrier is way from the hinge causing the arm to twist.

My guess on why the passenger side is more commonly used, is because more people are right handed.

Last edited:
red_01_xj said:
having the tire further away from the hinge allows the hatch to open sooner, where as if it were next to the hinge it would need to be open almost fully, on the done side there is more of a moment (thoughs of us that undersand statics) when the tire carrier is way from the hinge causing the arm to twist.
I fully understand statics, not having as good of luck with your english though :)

There I hope that is better.

red_01_xj said:
When having the tire further away from the hinge, it allows the hatch to open sooner. Where as if the tire were next to the hinge, the arm would need to be open almost fully for the hatch to be opened. On the downside there is more of a moment (for us that understand statics) when the tire carrier is way from the hinge causing the arm to twist.

My guess on why the passenger side is more commonly used, is because more people are right handed.
also, when the swing is latched, the moment would be the same at the hinge regardless of the location(disregarding the extra material to extend it), not when it is fully open, not worried about that though. the moment arm would basically be the vertical separation between the wheel and the hinge.

Mark, don't forget the tire carrier you built for my RHD XJ.

Detours made me a special carrier with a centrally mounted tire. I have an even amount of visibility either side which is perfect for backing up a trail. Being centrally mounted weight is distributed evenly.

I do use my door mirrors more and will probably replace my rear view mirror with one that has an embedded camera display. This is mostly for use at night, as I can see just enough either side of the tire looking over my shoulder during the day.

It took me a couple of hours to get used to not having any direct visibility straight out the back. I had no problems driving my RHD XJ 3,000 miles across the USA. I could see traffic equally well on both sides looking over my shoulder and using my door mirrors.

Trip%20111.jpg

FallFling2006058.jpg

Last edited:
Back