• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Cleaning 4wd light sensor....

Blaine B.

NAXJA Forum User
Can anybody give me any tips as to where the 4wd light sensor is on the NP231? My light isn't working and perhaps I'd like to take the sensor out and give it a quick cleaning........thanks!

Blaine B. said:
Can anybody give me any tips as to where the 4wd light sensor is on the NP231? My light isn't working and perhaps I'd like to take the sensor out and give it a quick cleaning........thanks!

What year?

If you have the vacuum disconnect (mid-1989 and earlier,) then the indicator lamp switch is up near the blower fan motor, under the hood. It gets vacuum when the axle shift actuator is fully engaged.

If you don't, then I believe the mode indicator switch is on the transfer case proper, and is an mechanical switch that may just want replacing...

5-90

i replaced my 4x4 switch last week on np231. its the sensor on the front side of the transfer case ( towards front driveshaft) it has 2 wires connecting it very easy removal

FYI for the pre 89 jeeps, the vacuum sensor is a little blue box located by the shock tower. It has a vacuum hose and wire harness going to it. I checked with the local jeep dealer, and he said they weren't making them anymore.

shaddady34 said:
i replaced my 4x4 switch last week on np231. its the sensor on the front side of the transfer case ( towards front driveshaft) it has 2 wires connecting it very easy removal

Yep, found it today...plug was intact, unplugged/plugged it back in a few times and no fix.

I'll just replace it when I can get one.......don't feel like buying a new switch really. Not really an issue though, as if you can't tell your in 4wd......

Back