• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

brake proporsioning valve for 8.8 conversion

edgreeson65

NAXJA Forum User
I am in the process of doing a 8.8 conversion, and I was wondering if I need a new proporsioning valve because my stock D35 had drum brakes and my new 8.8 has disk brakes?

91 Jeep Project said:
Just take the O ring out of yours.........:thumbup:

This is one way to do it. I've never done this but have read about people having both positive and negative results with doing this. What I ended up doing is just swapping the spring out inside the proportioning valve with one from a ZJ with disc brakes ('95+ to '98). This has worked fine for over a year now and I have very positve braking.

I have never had to touch a thing, just bolt it in? Whats the reason. Brakes seem to pull just right.

(IMO) install brakes. Take her out and up to at least 45 then lock them up. Have someone watch from outside. If all four lock up at ABOUT the same time then all is well. Else you got some more work to.
I use a adjustable value for towing. Never seen one off a Jeep but some MJs had them. Worked off the height of the bed. The more load you put on the lower she set and the more braking the rear brakes would do.

ZJ with disc brakes ('95+ to '98)

With a dual diaphram booster and 37s, stops well (a TON better than stock)

IF you don't remove the o-ring it could cause your rear brakes to drag some. Drum brakes usually use a residual pressure valve to keep a small amoung of pressure in the line. Disc brakes will drag with a residual pressure valve.

Back