• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Tips on NP242 Rebuild

Depends on what you are doing, full rebuild? Once I got mine out it took me probably 4 hours total to tear mine apart to remove the mainshaft for machining to accept a RE hack and tap sye and and put it back together.

Tips: go buy some RTV silicone in bulk in the big tubes for chauking guns, way easier to apply and saves time and money.

Get a big tube of Blue locktite and put it on every bolt.

Get new seals, for the front driveshaft output, transmission input and output if not putting in SYE. Also get a new star washer and yoke nut for the front output while you are at it.

If putting in a RE hack and tap, make a star washer for the end of the cut and drilled mainshaft, I didnt and wish I had.

Be prepared to replace the chain if need be, but its expensive. 400 canadian whne I priced it out.

And if you are going to take the middle diff off the mainshaft, do it in a bowl or on a nice soft loose towel. Trust me, you'll thanks me later. Ask me how I know.

On that note, get some bearing gease to hold those bearing pin in place during reassembly.

Closely inspect the diff assembly, the large heavy piece secured to the mainshaft. It has (I think) 4 planetary gears and they like to break the center pins loose in the carrier. Even if no hairline cracks are visible in the factory welds I still like to v-groove and reweld them. Just be careful with the heat as the planet gears have plastic thrust washers on the sides.

That's the big weak point on the 242, address it and you should be good to go. The other nice thing about the 242, unlike the 231 the front drive sprocket is replacable separate from the front output shaft. It's held on by a large snapring.

Back