• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Multiple misfire problems

Cornflake

NAXJA Forum User
To start, this is concerning my 96 XJ 163,000 miles, Auto, lift, big tires and all. So driving around town yesterday with no problems I came to a stop sign and my idle starting acting up. As I pulled away it was apparent that I wasn't hitting on all six. I went home hooked up my scanner and got a "Multiple Misfire Detected" code. Now about 2 months ago about the same thing happened while I was driving down the highway and when I put the scanner on it then it had read "Misfire Cylinder 4" and when I pulled the cap and rotor, the cap where the #4 cylinder got it's power from was burnt up pretty good. So I put a new cap and rotor on and it at that time, solved the problem completely until this new thing. I pulled the cap and rotor this time and it didn't look too bad. Any suggestions? Can the same thing be causing these things to happen. I did put on a cheaper cap and rotor and it did look worn pretty good already after not even 2 months, but could that be the only problem. The misfire code is the only thing the computer is throwing. Any help would be very appreciated. Thanks...

Back