• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Applying bedliner in the colder weather...?

soulslngr

NAXJA Forum User
I am in the process of patching my floor, and would like to bedline it using one of the roll-on application bedliner products. The problem is the weather here in NJ is around 45-50 in the day, and 30-35 at night. I was wondering if anyone had any advice on applying one of these products in these weather conditions? Has anyone done it? Was it successful? Did it just take longer to dry? I do not have access to a garage either. Please help me in any way you can.
Thanks, and have a good one!:sunshine:

50* don't sound too cold.....if your really worried about put a space heater inside the jeep(interior is out right?)just keep an eye on it or:flame: .....

yeah warm it up if your worried. I did my rockers with rubberized rocker gaurd a while back and it was chilly in my garage. I think it stuck, but a small patch maybe 1/2" square just flaked off for no reason... so keep it warm just for giggles.

It goes on better (out of a spray gun) in the cold that I know.

i just finished my interior over the weekend, and it was in the 30-40s all weekend here. instead of the 24 hours the directions say for letting it dry, i ended up having to let the jeep sit from friday night to monday morning before i could drive it. all in all though the finished product is definately worth it though

dont mean to thread jack but has anyone ever tried the duplicolor coating that comes in aerosol cans?

I undercoated my Jeep after patching floors with generic undercoating.....seems to do just fine. Just did the outside, though.....nothing on the inside, as I used sheetmetal to cover the rust and then used tar around the edges to seal it off.

Why not wait to do this work in the spring? Warm = better for anything that has to adhere and dry....

I applied some Herculiner a few weeks back, to rear fender wells, and some of the application was done in rather cool temps, but dried/cured/solidified fine overnight!

I did Herc on my interior in December. It takes forever to dry and I was scared to use a heater in the garage because the stuff smells STRONG. It took longer than it said in the instructions to dry but it finally did dry. I was rushing the coats because it was getting late and have a few places where it pooled. Luckily, it pooled right where peoples feet are on either side in the front so it's cool.

In my opinion, to do it right, I would wait till it's warm. However, it's been on there for 2 years no bubbles, chips or flakes.

Preperation is the key! Make sure to use Xylene (spelling?) or a similar cleaner to get EVERYTHING off before you paint it on.

my experience from paint says that temperature is not as big of an issue as humidity is, but i wouldnt do it in freezing weather. probly 50 at the lowest.
i find summer in GA, when its 95* and 90% humidity terrible for paint.

-Tim

I was on the Herculiner site when I was about to do mine, I did mine back last January, I beleive on the 3rd. The Herculiner dries faster with HUMIDITY, not temperature. You can still apply it in the cold, it will do just fine, but, like the directions say, the lower the humidity, the longer the drying time. My Herculiner has survived a couple subermersions now as well as hosing outs and other abuse, and still works fine.

If you don't want to use Xylene, Actetone works just fine too, and is less of a health hazard.

Herculiner Website said:
Q: How long does it take HERCULINER to dry?
A: You should allow HERCULINER to dry about 9-12 hours before
any light use and allow 24 hours for a complete cure. Curing
begins when HERCULINER is exposed to atmospheric moisture.
Therefore, with higher humidity, curing time is shorter.

I remember having it smell so raunchy in there, even while using a gas mask my friends thought I was on crack the next day because of the Xylene.
Nothing like driving to school with all your windows open so you can try to air out your Jeep.

Back