• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

8.25" diff adjustment tool

Mar

NAXJA Forum User
I’m planning to install a Trak-Loc or Auburn unit in my 8.25” differential (2000 XJ).
Can someone provide any info on the special tool used to adjust the threaded adapters on each side of the carrier? (tool: long shaft with a large hexagonal head)

I would like to know specifically the dimensions of the hex end of that tool. Any additional info will be appreciated.

Thanks.

Go to your local hardware and pick up 2 hex nuts with the outside diameter of 1-3/8". Move over to the plumbing section and pick up 2, 3' lengths of black pipe(the pipe should fit into the center of the nut) then go to the tool section and pick up 2, 1/2" drive short extensions(the extensions should slide into the end of the pipe).

Now weld it all up! Hex nut onto pipe, 1/2" extension into the other end of the pipe. If you do not have a welder, most welding shops will help you out for a small fee.

This will give you 2 complete spaner wrenches that you will need to properly set the carrier pre-load/backlash. You will be able to use 1/2" breakerbars or ratchets.

You will have less than $30 in both wrenches.

This is what I use to set the 8.25's. Sorry I don't have a pic, I'll post one later.

Back