• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Transmissions/Tcase .. what the heck?

attworth

NAXJA Forum User
I just finished replacing my old tcase. It was an NP229. Before removal, the truck wouldn't move. Was making grinding noises like the gears were just shot. So, I got another tcase. This one happened to be an NP228.

I got it all back together, everything went dandy. The speedo cable didn't fit, but that's irrelevant right now. I got in the truck to see if it would drive. I put it into drive, and it gave me a big jolt and tried to move the truck (had my foot on the brake obviously.) I let off the brake and it seemed okay. However, it seems like it's stuck in LOW range. For some reason my H-N-L linkage is gone, so I can't adjust it in the cab.

Anyway, so I think it's stuck in Low, but I'm not sure. I know it's not good to drive it like that, especially in 2wd. Does anybody have any ideas on how I can get it outta low while I try and find some linkage?

One more issue. Now my truck won't start. It's as if it's not recognizing Park. I tried rolling it back and forth and playing with the shifter a little but still nothing.

Alright, thanks for any info.

Oh I apologize. I figured you guys would know based on the NP229. Sorry about that.

It's an 85 with the 2.8L and 3spd TF904.

Thanks

Have you checked all the linkage to make sure it is moving propery, maybe something got yanked loose(it looks like drive but really in another gear, my XJ will not start in gear)..... Hey itsa start.... JOE>

I can re-check everything. Maybe when I lowered the tranny something got kinked. I know for sure I don't have High-low linkage.

The first thing I'd check is whether when you lowered the tranny you pulled loose one of the wires for the neutral safety switch. If you try bypassing it you'll find out in a hurry whether your problem is there or elsewhere.

Have you gotten down underneath and tried running the shifter on the side of the transfer case through its positions? As I recalll, on the 231, full forward is low range, and full back is 2-hi, and since the linkages seem to have stayed the same, I presume the positions are also the same. See if it shifts through the positions properly.

I haven't had a chance to crawl underneath it - school and work. I'm going to try and get underneath tonight and see what I can find. If I can't figure out why it won't start, I'll try jumping the starter and see if I can resolve my t-case issues first.

Tony

Here's an interesting one for you. I got under the Jeep, and pushed the linkage into Low. Didn't think it'd be as easy as it was, but it was pretty simple. So I thought, what the heck, I'll try and start it. Get in the cab, put the shifter from Park, through all the gears, back into park. Turn the key and viola.

Well, now the truck still doesn't move. It's like my transmission has no High gear anymore - but I thought that was all controlled in the tcase and tranny had nothing to do with it. Now I'm even more confused as to why it's not working right. Anybody have a clue?

Tony

Back