• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Farm store control arms

wolfmanxj

NAXJA Forum User
Hey anyone ever use three point hitch links for adj. control arms. I was looking at the SJ Dbl flex arms and they look alot alike. I know not all steel is created equal. I also read about the big "ACME" threads and was wondering about their strength. I figured if its strong enough for a bailer or a brush hog bouncing around on it it should be strong enough for control arms. What does everyone think/know about this?

They're definitely not of the same caliber of a heim joint, not even the cheap ones. You're right, tons of slop in them and the metal is cheap cheap cheap. If it were a trail only rig, maybe...actually not cause it's gonna tick people off when you're broken and blocking the trail.

Thanks guys. definitely won't be going that route. Anyone wanna recommend some good, cheap( I know oxymoron) control arms for 3.5"-4" of lift?

actually not cause it's gonna tick people off when you're broken and blocking the trail.
=======================================
Sloppy always! They just don't care about a little slop for a brushog. But weak and break! Not the ones from the factory. Anyone that has done any farming knows what it takes to break a good one. Now the third party stuff ???
On a street Jeep never. But I would have no problem with a trail rig.

badron said:
actually not cause it's gonna tick people off when you're broken and blocking the trail.
=======================================
Sloppy always! They just don't care about a little slop for a brushog. But weak and break! Not the ones from the factory. Anyone that has done any farming knows what it takes to break a good one. Now the third party stuff ???
On a street Jeep never. But I would have no problem with a trail rig.

check out the forums at right coast crawler. they seem to be popular in nova scotia for first builds. after that everybody gets fed up with the clanking and clunking. but NOONE talks about beaking them.

wolfmanxj said:
Thanks guys. definitely won't be going that route. Anyone wanna recommend some good, cheap( I know oxymoron) control arms for 3.5"-4" of lift?

Look for used arms....if it's straight and not beat up, you're good to go.

Something like an RE Super Ride is easy to rebuild since they have simple Clevite rubber bushings.

I'm running two sets of used arms that, once rebuilt with new bushings, were still less than 1/2 the cost of new.

With as many rigs as there are that get used for nothing more than moderate trail duty, you'll find some.

As an ex employee of Tractor Supply, i too have thought long and hard about the adjustable implement arms. I just don't trust them to do the job, especialy not at any speeds. I have however had a buddy use a driveshaft made from 2 halves of PTO shafts.

wolfmanxj said:
Thanks for the advice John, hadn't thought about used. Where did you find yours? Any web-sitesfor them?

NAXJA, JU, local forums near you, Craig's List, eBay.

Also remember that you're trying to get something that works on XJ, ZJ, TJ models....think outside the box and look at other forums. TJ guys are always upgrading to the latest fad.....look at JU's Wrangler section, Rubicon Owners forum, webrings, Yahoo Groups.......

you got the idea.

Back