• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Bad thermostat or bad sensor?

P1atinum

Aerodynamically Challenge
Need a second opinion

At River Rock this weekend I noticed my temps really low. 160 to 180, at first I thought it was just because it was much colder ambient air temp then what I am used to in Florida. But for the most part it stayed low all weekend. Only twice did I notice it at 210 after a long time at idle.

Then on my way back home (five hour drive) I begin to notice the Temp change very drastically from 180 to 210 back to 180, pretty much all the way home.

The history with this jeep, like most everyone else runs that it runs hot.. 210 to 230 wheeling, and 200 to 215 normal driving.

It’s a 97 with stock Thermo, fluids look good.
At first I was thinking the Thermo was stuck open, now I am leaning towards a bad sending unit.

any thought?

P1atinum said:
Need a second opinion

At River Rock this weekend I noticed my temps really low. 160 to 180, at first I thought it was just because it was much colder ambient air temp then what I am used to in Florida. But for the most part it stayed low all weekend. Only twice did I notice it at 210 after a long time at idle.

Then on my way back home (five hour drive) I begin to notice the Temp change very drastically from 180 to 210 back to 180, pretty much all the way home.

The history with this jeep, like most everyone else runs that it runs hot.. 210 to 230 wheeling, and 200 to 215 normal driving.

It’s a 97 with stock Thermo, fluids look good.
At first I was thinking the Thermo was stuck open, now I am leaning towards a bad sending unit.

any thought?

Got a "known good" non-contact IR thermometer? That will allow you to back-check the sending unit (whic for you, should be the one in the thermostat housing, so just take your reading there.)

5-90

Back