• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

a little big bumper fab question

bikenlax

NAXJA Forum User
howdy everyone,
i roll with a 99 xj, and had a couple question for you.
i plan on fabricating a front bumper of my own, but would like a little expertise on this from someone who knows what theyre doing.
now i know im about to get in trouble, but id like to ask a few simple questions.
anyone know the measurements for the bumper mounts? i.e. distance apart/width/height, etc...
what precautions should i take before putting on tow hooks or a hitch insert? what about a winch plate?
and finally, what type of welder should i use? 220? 120?
sorry about pissin a few of you off with the simple questions, but i couldnt gather everything i wanted to know on the search, and would rather have a straight forward answer or 13 from some people who know what theyre talking about.
thanks, robert

well if you already have the jeep, and plan on building something, you better learn how to measure(or at least make cardboard templates), hands-down 220v welder if you don't pre-heat(or know what you are doing as the ??s), make sure you use more mounting points than the stock bumper, the more the better to a degree. sorry if I seem rude, not trying to be, but if you don't know the answers to these simple questions, you should be doing much more research/fabrication practice. Start with a welding table or something that won't kill somebody if it fails. It may help if you share your other fabrication experiences.

bikenlax said:
howdy everyone,
i roll with a 99 xj, and had a couple question for you.
i plan on fabricating a front bumper of my own, but would like a little expertise on this from someone who knows what theyre doing.
now i know im about to get in trouble, but id like to ask a few simple questions.
anyone know the measurements for the bumper mounts? i.e. distance apart/width/height, etc...
what precautions should i take before putting on tow hooks or a hitch insert? what about a winch plate?
sorry about pissin a few of you off with the simple questions, but i couldnt gather everything i wanted to know on the search, and would rather have a straight forward answer or 13 from some people who know what theyre talking about.
thanks, robert

First off, what size materials do you plan on using? Any round tube?

bikenlax said:

Id start off by taking some measurements myself. Are you going to tie in the mounts to the frame better?

bikenlax said:

Dont weld on tow hooks. Make sure you weld the hitch insert in good, and brace it where needed. If you buy a pre fabbed winch plate, once again, make sure you get good penetration.

bikenlax said:

I have made due with a Miller 135.

That being said, have at it!

Definitely go with a 220 welder if you have access to one. I've seen plenty of nice homebrew bumpers built with 110 but if given the choice, go 220.

I should have some pics on my forum to show the construction of winch/non-winch bumpers if you want some ideas. Otherwise I can upload some.

Personally I wouldn't bother with towhooks, go with d-ring/shackle mounts as they're a lot easier to make a strong recovery point. Do NOT however just weld a d-ring tab to the face of the bumper and call it good. Seen it done numerous times and in person I've seen one tear the base metal apart and that was 3/8". I use a solid chunk that extends through the face, welded front and back and to the mount itself.

I don't know what these measurements will do for ya since you're going to have to measure anyways but.... the width between the mounts is roughly 32-3/4" and the mounts themselves anywhere from 5-6" high depending on the style.

If you want to just buy a set of mounts I started selling mine, includes an integrated steering box support and can be made to any reasonable length. They also wrap around the bottom of the framerail for strength on two planes versus the plain flat ones that are strong only on one axis. Nutplates for the bottom mount included for $50 a pair.

Wow...A show of a class act to take the time to detail some points on fabin a product that ya sell. Next bumper I will buy will be a AJs. :thumbup:

Back