• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

yet another NSS thread

krelja

NAXJA Forum User
Let me start by saying that I've replaced the NSS already about 8 months ago, and it worked great for a while. The jeep will always start but now the backup lights only work occasionally and sometimes I lose overdrive. I am about to try adjusting the switch but when I was looking at it yesterday the shaft that sticks out is pointing @ about 10:00. Almost every pic and post I see is showing it @ 12:00. Even if I move the switch with the little amount of adjustment that is possible I don't think it gonna move enough. I'll post some pics soon. I'm not worried so much about the reverse lights not working but I want my OD to work when I want it to not when it wants to. Also the check engine light comes on when the OD doesn't work but it will clear itself then come back on in a few days. thanks in advance for the replies

yet another nss thread

My jeep XJ 1994 was showing signs of faulty starting due to the NSS, so this weekend I removed it. Unfortunately after 110,000 miles it was a bi__h to remove and I broke it. When ordering the new one this morning, each place I spoke to asked if I had a 3spd auto or 4spd (overdrive). This is apparently important due to the way the plug wires are configued. I would advise cheching the pin locations,on the plug too a new unit for overdrive.

Now,can a NSS be temporaily overridden, while I wait for my new unit? If I place the internal contact lever, at the park position....close up the unit .....don't mount it to the tranny...plug the wires in to the relay....will my car start? If not can someone tell me how to TEMPORARILY over ride the unit.
Thanks Coupe

First NSS has nothing to do with if you have overdrive...you have other problems.

Yes...the NSS can be bypassed. Take the plug apart where it connects to the harness. You will see multiple pins on the harness side of the plug. Take a flat female wire connector and attach it over the two center lower pins. You can take to old NSS off. As long as those two pins make connection it will start, but you will have no back-up lights and the NSS has NO impact on transmission shifting.

so the fact that when my reverse lights don't work the overdrive doesn't work and when they do work everyting is ok but they have nothing to do with each other hmmmm???

Jess said:
reverse lights are controled by the NSS---overdrive is not

If the NSS is badly adjusted, it might be telling the TCU the shifter is in (3). Try unpluggin the NSS altogether and if that fixes the problem then the NSS is out of adjustment.

that is what I was thinkin because it has never shifted funny. I'll keep some info posted if I can fix it and if not time to go to the mechanic. Then I'll post up what he found

This weekend, I removed the NSS from my son's 96 Cherokee for cleaning after the backup lights would not activate and it sometimes would not start in park.

Removal was a breeze, in cleaning found the contacts had stuck in dried out grease....re-greased and installed w/o a hitch...but forgot to adjust and it would not start in neutral....took about 5 minutes to adjust and its good to go! NSS only affects starting and backup lights.

But I will say this....before cleaning, when the backup lights would not come on.....you could turn on the interior lights and if in reverse, the backup lights would come on........??? Strange.

Well I took my broken NSS unit and glued the back plastic back togeather....placed the contact lever at the park position....closed everything up.....taped the whole unit togeather with electrical tape....pluggged the unit into the wire harness.....and placed the NSS temporarily in the engine compartment wedged against the windshield washer container. Then I put the jeep in park and it started perfectly. Runs in reverse forward etc. I did not get a chance to try it out on the highway but at least I was able to move it. The new NSS is in the mail and will arrive in a day or two. Simple install and all should be Merry (as in Christmas). Two side notes: The NSS here in Montreal at a local parts store $600.16 + 15 percent tax. Hate to think what the dealer would charge. I bought my unit (brand new and shipped priority mail) in Florida from 4J Parts for $146.00.

Jess Thanks for the tip on the over ride, and I tend to agree with you that the NSS is strictly a starter safety unit and should have no bearing on how the Jeep will run. The NSS was installed to stop people from starting their Jeep while in gear. Someone said you can over ride the unit by simply jumping the starter relay and adding a ground.

I have the starter jumped on two of mine and ran to a push-button and on another one I have the NSS disconnected and the pins jumped. I have had no problems out of any of them...since I took the NSS out of the loop.

As a side note: whenever you re-install the NSS, use an ohm meter to get the proper adjustment.

Back