• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

problem with Hack n tap and front ds

ricot83

NAXJA Member #1297
I installed the lift on my xj and it came out to be about 4.5" in fornt and 3.5" in the rear, I am going to level it off so it is 4.5" all around that is not a problem,

My problem is that Right now when I look at the front DS that is installed in the rear, the slip part is extended 3 " and I believe that this is the full extension of the shaft itself and I am scared to go flex it out because i need the jeep to get to work and back and to school and cant afford to break it right now because i dont have time.

I have 4.0 aw4 8.25" rear with np242
I have 4 front driveshafts and they all seem to be the same exact length so I dont understand what the problem is or what to do about it. I read all over where guys with 5" lifts are runnin front shafts with no problems and have seen pics where the drive shaft slip is only like 1-2" extended.

Last edited:
Everyone I have known to get away with a front driveshaft was at ~3.5-4" of lift. At 5" of lift it was way too short for me.

Mine was too short to run safely at 3", you have to have it lengthened

That's sooooo weird I dont understand how it oculd vary so much

242 vs 231, d35 vs d44 vs c8.25, where on the springs the axle sits (my old springs placed my axle back ~.5" further from where my new ones are at the same height). Etc, etc, etc. There are a lot of variables, and trying to say what works with one jeep with 3" of lift will work with another is not really a valid assumption. Saying something works with one cherokee with a 231, 8.25, RE 5.5" lift shoudl work with another cherokee with a 231, 8.25, and RE 5.5" lift is probably going to be pretty close, but without getting that specific there are a lot of variables.

gotcha I understand, my only problem with this is when I lift the rear the extra inch, my DS may no longer fit, so I might have to pop in a tcase drop just for the time being to alleviate the problem.

Your probably better off getting that shaft lengthened, or better yet, buying one thats not all used parts of the correct length.

Sometimes it just doesnt work to be cheap.

Ya i have two spare front shafts I might have lengthened and balanced. this way I will be ok. I haven't spent much money up to this point so....

lengthened, balanced, new u-joints, new CV joint/ball assembly. Almost the cost of a new shaft.

I suppose the same cost of a new shaft, basically the same thing as a new shaft

If i were to stumble over one, I'd pick it up .. but I wouldnt search it out as a primary fix. the extra half inch of engaged splines can't hurt.

The front driveshaft really doesnt seem beefy enough to me to serve on a rear end. I know a lot of people do it, but if you have to go as far as having it lengethened and balanced, you should probably pony up the extra dough to just have one made. With shopping around you can probably get a new cv shaft for ~$200. We have a ghetto shop locally that turns them out in the ~$120 range.

my local shop wants 315$ thats f'n rediculous.

Shop around more. The shop we get stuff done in the $100 range is a dive with bars over the windows and little to no english language understood, but the shafts balance ok and seem to hold up.

I put a hack n tap on mine, 3in lift, aw4 np231 chrys 8.25 and it seems like the driveshaft is too long, the driveshaft came out of an aw4 np231 chrys 8.25. Im worried that im gonna slam the two halves together when i flex it.
more lift would take care of it but i had bad vibes and this took care of it

Back