• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Warn Hub Conversion Question

FitchVA

NAXJA Forum User
i just picked up a d30 that has a ton of good parts on it. but the new d30 is getting gutted and all the good stuff is going to be transplanted into my d30 so i can retain my arb (without paying someone to do the gear install).

one of the big things it has is the warn hub conversion kit.

my question is this:

to swap the hub kit over, should i completely brake down the kit, or can i just undo the 3 hub/spindle bolts and remove everything as one unit? i don't have the install instructions and need to get this stuff out of my friend's way as soon as possible so i really don't have time for warn to mail me the instruction sheets.

oh, and one more question - the dude threw in a set of superior inner and outer shafts that he called "spares". will normal outer shafts work with the hub conversion? thanks for the info.

steve

That second writeup was for the wrong hub kit. Warn offers a 5x4.5 hub kit and a 5x5.5 hub kit, and they are VERY different monsters.

hadfield4wd said:
Steve,

Forgot to ask. They are both HP right? Don't forget the new ball joints. I'm getting a heater this week. The garage is just to cold.
yup. both hp. i'm not sure if i'm gonna do balljoints now or just wait. i'm not sure if i'll have the time to put them in. i've never done 'em.

cal said:
That second writeup was for the wrong hub kit. Warn offers a 5x4.5 hub kit and a 5x5.5 hub kit, and they are VERY different monsters.
i've got the 5x4.5" kit

FitchVA said:
yup. both hp. i'm not sure if i'm gonna do balljoints now or just wait. i'm not sure if i'll have the time to put them in. i've never done 'em.

i've got the 5x4.5" kit

Do the bjs now. It's easy with a strong press and then you won't have to pull everything apart again later.

FitchVA said:

i've got the 5x4.5" kit

Yeah, When I read the first link I got the 5x5.5 in my head, and somehow thought you had said it.

My bad, sorry.

no problems. too bad i don't know how to setup gears or that this new-to-me doesn't already have an arb in it. all the joints and "stuff" are almost new:

IMG_3318.jpg

and that's my new-to-me 8.8 as well ;)

It should be a pretty simple task to drop new balljoints in your current axle and move the hubs over to it.

- back to my original question - do you think it'd be OK to remove the entire warn hub kit as a whole out of the axle by simply removing the 3 hub bolts that the OEM setup uses? would the little force of tapping on the bolts hurt the kit in any way? i wouldn't think so, but i want to ask

If you are swapping the inner and outer shafts together I think that would work.. You have to disassemble it a bit to pull it without pulling the outer shaft.

cool. i'll give it a try.

as i type, i'm still on the fence as to what to do. i might just say heck with the ARB and just bolt this up as is. it has all new joints, matching gears, and a lock-right locker. besides, if i ever not feel comfortable with the front locked like that, i can take that out and run open.

buuuuuuuuut, it's nice being able to cut the locker on and off at will.

Swap it as a set. It'll be heavy so don't drop the splined end of the shaft. I would think about the ball joints though. I have extra bolts that I use just for whacking with a hammer so I don't booger up the head on the good ones.

FitchVA said:
no problems. too bad i don't know how to setup gears or that this new-to-me doesn't already have an arb in it. all the joints and "stuff" are almost new:

IMG_3318.jpg

and that's my new-to-me 8.8 as well ;)

I didn't realize that had rear discs. That was a steal. Now all you need is tires.

Back