• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

What the hell did I just buy?

DBenz

NAXJA Forum User
Here's the deal: The parents asked me what I wanted for x-mas and I found some axles that I'd like to have under my jeep. They decided after talking it over that they would each pitch in and have me get these axles. We went to The Brush Beater's Wheelin For Toys on the 9th, and I stopped in Missouri and picked these up.

I was told that I'd be getting:

High Pinion Dana 30 (4.56 gears, open diff, Tera Flex extended front brake lines)
Missing: axle shafts, hubs, needs new carrier and pinion bearings

Chrysler 8.25 (27 spline, 4.56 gears, ZJ disc brakes, Tera Flex extended rear brake line)

So basically I got these things, Dana 30 is as described, Plan on taking the gears out (good teeth, good condition) and having them put in mine.I cracked the Dana 30 diff cover and found what he described. I cracked the diff cover on the 8.25 and discovered something I'm not familiar with. Is it a limited slip? Reichy and I were looknig at it and if you spin the axle hubs, they both turn together, no ratcheting, even if one is held.

You tell me:

n1192350203_30035153_371.jpg

n1192350203_30035154_677.jpg

n1192350203_30035155_968.jpg

n1192350203_30035156_1267.jpg

n1192350203_30035158_1839.jpg

DBenz said:
Here's the deal: The parents asked me what I wanted for x-mas and I found some axles that I'd like to have under my jeep. They decided after talking it over that they would each pitch in and have me get these axles. We went to The Brush Beater's Wheelin For Toys on the 9th, and I stopped in Missouri and picked these up.

I was told that I'd be getting:

High Pinion Dana 30 (4.56 gears, open diff, Tera Flex extended front brake lines)
Missing: axle shafts, hubs, needs new carrier and pinion bearings

Chrysler 8.25 (27 spline, 4.56 gears, ZJ disc brakes, Tera Flex extended rear brake line)

So basically I got these things, Dana 30 is as described, Plan on taking the gears out (good teeth, good condition) and having them put in mine.I cracked the Dana 30 diff cover and found what he described. I cracked the diff cover on the 8.25 and discovered something I'm not familiar with. Is it a limited slip? Reichy and I were looknig at it and if you spin the axle hubs, they both turn together, no ratcheting, even if one is held.

and yea, the 27 spline is stronger than the d35... its housing and tubes are stronger, and ring gear too, but shaft strength is of minimal increased strength... their are some decent upgrades for the axle though to make it stronger

yes it is a limited slip reichy and needs rebuilt. did he not tell you that??? That was what I was told by the original owner the axles.

vetteboy said:
The 27-spline C8.25 is kinda lame...might wanna look into some upgrades there.
Well it is obvious the kid isn't made of money and can't afford to drop down the money for a 44 or 8.8". Unless you are talking about shaft upgrades. The 8.25 should be fine especially if it isn't locked and you aren't going with huge tires 36/37".
That upgrade isn't lame at all. Good low budget upgrade.
My son runs a 8.25 locked w/chrome mollys and 35" tires. It is alot better set up then his old Turdy Five.
The front set up is kind of 6 one way half a dozen the other. If you have a good gear man he should be able to set it up right with a install kit. He will need to reshim and and set the back lash.
Good Luck !
:rof:

Last edited:
boise49ers said:
Well it is obvious the kid isn't made of money and can't afford to drop down the money for a 44 or 8.8". Unless you are talking about shaft upgrades. The 8.25 should be fine especially if it isn't locked and you aren't going with huge tires 36/37".
That upgrade isn't lame at all. Good low budget upgrade.
My son runs a 8.25 locked w/chrome mollys and 35" tires. It is alot better set up then his old Turdy Five.
The front set up is kind of 6 one way half a dozen the other. If you have a good gear man he should be able to set it up right with a install kit. He will need to reshim and and set the back lash.
Good Luck !

There are two versions of the C8.25 - a 27-spline and 29-spline. The 27-spline is only marginally better than the D35, while the 29-spline is closer to a D44. The changeover happened somewhere around late '96 I think.

This may jsut be a long winter project. I'm thinking about looking into a 29 spline open carrier and axle shafts, but then I would have to regear, which would make this purchase pointless. Aside from gears for D30 and C8.25, and ZJ disc brakes.

Hmmm.........merry x-mas?

Derek

vetteboy said:
There are two versions of the C8.25 - a 27-spline and 29-spline. The 27-spline is only marginally better than the D35, while the 29-spline is closer to a D44. The changeover happened somewhere around late '96 I think.
Oh, my mistake ! I'm going to have to check Tonys and see what it is. I do know the housing is huge. If the guy put in Chromemollys it is probably the 29 too.
Thanks

I hear that the limited slip is broken. If that's the case, I'll be putting a lot of money into this axle, and probably for no reason.

29 spline shafts
29 spline open carrier
29 spline lunchbox locker
pay to have the 4.56 gears put on the carrier

Unless I find a 29 spline at a junkyard for cheap.

DBenz said:
I hear that the limited slip is broken. If that's the case, I'll be putting a lot of money into this axle, and probably for no reason.

29 spline shafts
29 spline open carrier
29 spline lunchbox locker
pay to have the 4.56 gears put on the carrier

Unless I find a 29 spline at a junkyard for cheap.
I got a 44 from a Junkyard from an XJ out of Vegas for $250.
Then I dumped another $800 in Gears and a Detroit though.
There out there, just have to search. My nephew builds trannies
at the speedway in Vegas so he is constantly in the Junk yards
and looks under every XJ.

Last edited:
vetteboy said:
The 27-spline is only marginally better than the D35, while the 29-spline is closer to a D44.

Oh bullshit. Quit spreading that misinformation around. 2 splines on the shafts don't make the quality jump that much. Hell, the 'marginally better than a 35' is just plain WRONG.

well how many splines are the d44 shafts. IIRC they are 30-31 (i have a bad headache right now so forgive me if im wrong)

and the 27sp shafts are ~1.17" thick
opposed to something like ~1.2 or 1.3 " thick for 29 spline. and i think d44 is ~1.3" as well.
the chryco axle tubes are very stout, as is the housing.

rocklandxjer said:
well how many splines are the d44 shafts. IIRC they are 30-31 (i have a bad headache right now so forgive me if im wrong)

and the 27sp shafts are ~1.17" thick
opposed to something like ~1.2 or 1.3 " thick for 29 spline. and i think d44 is ~1.3" as well.
the chryco axle tubes are very stout, as is the housing.

The 27 spline is 1.17, the 29 spline is 1.21.

The 44's have 30 splines, not 31. Some earlier ones came with 16 splines IIRC. The shafts are 1.31

yea i just found the info and was about to post it, beat me to it

i see the shaft diameter strength difference marginal between the 27 and the 29 splines. .04" thats too little for me to make any drastic changes to my axle (like swap shafts and carrier)

Last edited:
We are pulling the axle shafts today to see what spline it is. I don't 100% trust the guy since he "magically" left out that the rear had a limited slip in it, and that it's possibly broken. It came with a spare 27 spline shaft, but the guy obviously never cracked the cover of the 8.25, bolts were all there and on good.

Can anyone give me more info on the limited slip? I hear it's a trach lok or something on that order. Are they supposed to be fully locked when the axle is out form under a vehicle? Is it supposed to rachet?

Derek

rocklandxjer said:
Dont change gears, just change axles. used gears will never fit right and will be loud.

I guess I just got "lucky" when I put used 4.1x gears in my 30/35....

Back