• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

This happen to you?

DSN46

NAXJA Forum User
Had something happen that has me kinda un-nerved about my XJ.
I'll just give a "timeline" approach to save your eyes. I was wheeling in the 16 inches of snow that we got here in MO last week at my brother-in-laws farm. Alot of creeks and gullies forested area. Here is the scenario:
1. Wheeled for about 4 hours in DEEP snowy fields and forest areas.
2. Never felt anything too harsh under the XJ.
3. Went home without any trouble.
4. Next day, was going home from Rifle Range and lost all gears.
5. "babied" it home with tranny slipping (about 3 miles).
6. Found that the return line from the tranny cooler had pulled out of the side of the tranny!!
7. Fixed it with new connector and little O-rings. Refilled Tranny.
8. Runs great again now.

My question is, how did the line just "pop" out of the tranny like that? Should I worry about it doing it again now?

Thanks to any who have an idea.

James

Maybe a branch snagged it and popped it off....:dunno:

I had a problem when I went wheeling up hill in snow a while back, the tranny fluid burnt itself out, then I changed the fluid, installed a tranny cooler and no problems after that.

Most likely something caught it and ripped it off. There are a lot of things in 16" of snow that you may not feel..

DSN46 said:
Had something happen that has me kinda un-nerved about my XJ.
I'll just give a "timeline" approach to save your eyes. I was wheeling in the 16 inches of snow that we got here in MO last week at my brother-in-laws farm. Alot of creeks and gullies forested area. Here is the scenario:
1. Wheeled for about 4 hours in DEEP snowy fields and forest areas.
2. Never felt anything too harsh under the XJ.
3. Went home without any trouble.
4. Next day, was going home from Rifle Range and lost all gears.
5. "babied" it home with tranny slipping (about 3 miles).
6. Found that the return line from the tranny cooler had pulled out of the side of the tranny!!
7. Fixed it with new connector and little O-rings. Refilled Tranny.
8. Runs great again now.

My question is, how did the line just "pop" out of the tranny like that? Should I worry about it doing it again now?

Thanks to any who have an idea.

James
i kinda had the same deal but i had the trasn cooler line pop off the radiator, got home filled iot up and was runnin like a champ...

Could be snow build up. I had a wire that connected to my main ecu on a truck build up with snow and get pulled onto the exhaust manifold. It melted through and the truck died on the highway. Though it sounds like the man with the tranny cooler has experienced the same, if he doesn't have a problem with it anymore, sounds good.

Thanks for the replies guys! I know I didnt hear anything "bump" or "poke" up into the underside of my XJ... but like it was stated, alot can happen in 16" of snow that you may not hear or see. I guess I'll just chalk it up to bad luck and quit worrying about it.

Thanks again.

James

Back