• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Jalopy Jungle

Bdiddy11

NAXJA Forum User
Ok, so I planned on going to the junk yard on Saturday to find a new shifer bezel because my looks like it was shot with a shotgun. I come across a 95 Cherokee in good condition but the front end is a little jacked... I take a peak inside... mm grey interior ( have been planning on switching over to grey or beige int because bourgandy is fugly) While looking inside what do I see? a beautiful console with perfect bezels, and cup holders! Something i've been looking for... score! New consle in perfect shape (needs to be cleaned though) I take a look at the doors... power doors. I thought about taking those as well because i'm going to convert to power doors for the locks and windows but the front right P door is jammed shut so not really worth it. But it had a pimp door skin... mostly grey wih black near the handle/power buttons. I notice it's got tweeters.. so I start taking the panel off... snag the tweeter and what else do I find but a BOSS speaker... and below that a crossover network... I start thinking to myself, " I must be the first one to this since it's been here" So I get the speaker and network out. Start working on the P door and it was a PAIN because it was shut and trying to unscrew everything from the d side seat was super suckage.. but well worth the 2 tweeters 2 crossover networks and 2 BOSS speakers.

So now that I got that, I grab the rail off the top so I can make a light bar. Good stuff. Start takin the console off... another pain... but well worth it. Go to the back, oh wait... different speaker screens, take off the panelling and 2 more aftermarket speakers (forgot the name) so I take those 2 and the 2 screens. Go back to the front, at this point in time im having a hay day and lovin it!! Look up at the ceiling.. and what do I see? A beautiful overhead console... 2 compartments... 4 lights and a compass/temperature gauge.. that was fun getting off but definately worth it!

So after getting all this stuff...
4 aftermarker speakers
2 tweeters
2 crossover networks
1 overhead console
1 95 center console

Take it up to the cashier... that will be $31.80 sir... I about crapped myself! That totally made my Saturday. So i'm gonna go back this Sat and grab the headliner because it has the overhead console spot already cut out, the visors, and probably some mouldings so I can slowly xfer my inside to grey.And then I gotta find some good power doors to convert those.
It was a GOOD day at the pick n' pull yard... can't wait to see what I find next week!

Damn, that's a steal!

If you come across another overhead console would you be interested in shipping it?

Yeah I could ship one. If I don't go paintballing this weekend the girlfriend and I are headed to the junk yard... a junk yard date and she's actually stoked about it! Question... what year trims can be used in an 87 Chief? All the way through 96? Or is there changes in the dash etc..?

No hurry or worries, if you find one great, if not no biggie.

As far as what years & trims, I don't know. I'd think an 87 XJ would be the same to 96, but I'm not sure. I've got a 97, but figured for what you could get/ship/take a little profit for the console, I could modify it to work. Besides, I'm going to gut it anyway.

I'm swapping a '96 Black Interior into my 89 right now. Totally compatible. Got the whole interior for $80, along with leather seats for $60. Was such a good deal, I grabbed all the '96 tinted windows, rather than scape the 3M crap off that's on mine (of course, the '96 rubber went with it).

Total outlay $200.

Junkyard Cherokees are great.

Sorry ttwitc9516... I lucked out :roflmao: My g/f now fiance is awesome...she helped me wire in my stereo + amp as well. Vacuumed + steam cleaned my front carpet I got from the junk yard for my interior swap and helped me get a whole new interior for my Jeep... swapping to grey. She pretty much took out the whole dash. Sat in my Jeep one night all bundled up with a heater going holding the light for me so I could re-install the dash...Just one of the many reasons i'm marrying her:guitar:

Back